Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky BB Questions - Second Phone Line?

This is a discussion on Sky BB Questions - Second Phone Line? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm looking at Sky BB . Generally my reservations are about actually getting the line migrated with little to no ...

hutchingsp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01543
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Post Sky BB Questions - Second Phone Line?

I'm looking at Sky BB. Generally my reservations are about actually getting the line migrated with little to no downtime.

Anyway, I have a second BT line in the house that I could get BB on, but that line is on a different floor to where the Sky box is, and I don't want the hassle/expense of having to run an extension to the Sky box if it is in the T&Cs that the Sky box has to be plugged into the same phone line that Sky Broadband is enabled on.

I didn't see anything to this effect in the T&Cs, does anyone know for sure?

Cheers!

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky BB Questions - Second Phone Line?

The T's and C's do seem to make a point of saying your broadband has to be provided at your address, rather than specifically on the same phone line like they do with multiroom subscriptions. I can see why they'd be so strict with multiroom and equally can see why they wouldn't need to be so strict with broadband provision, since they only allow one broadband connection per address.

That said, I remember them having terrible problems with me back in the days when I had Home Highway and my (only) Sky box was plugged into my second line. I can imagine their provisioning systems not having the facility to allow you to specify a phone line other than the one they have as your contact number.

You could just try ordering it anyway. Even if they mess it up and try to activate their broadband service on your downstairs line, they'll fail if they don't have a MAC code.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

u can actually have BB on a different line to ur Sky TV - so long as they actually record it correctly!!!

a number of people have this set up...you can only have one BB account per Sky account so if the other line isn't Sky BB then you can get the other line active with Sky BB before canceling the other...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That sounds like the way to go then as whilst I'm fairly comfortable that little significant should go wrong once the connection is in, I'm afraid as sad as it sounds I'd struggle with no broadband for a week or however long it took Sky if they messed up a migration.

So next question, and I guess this is a bit of a piece of string one, how likely is it to get the full 16mbps on my line?

I used to have MAXdsl and always synced at 8mbps and always managed to pull stuff down at the full 7.Xmbps (contention and download source permitting) and off the top of my head my attenuation is around 40db.

40gb 8mbps for 5 is too good to pass up on, but equally 10 for double is still much less than I'm currently paying...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

10 for UP TO double as much - with that attenuation id stick with Mid for 5 unless u desperately need the extra upload/download cap....
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      10 for UP TO double as much - with that attenuation id stick with Mid for 5 unless u desperately need the extra upload/download cap....
      Fair point on the "Up To", I've no idea what my line might take off those stats.

As you say though, other than the occasional (and not time critical) download I'm not sure 16mbps is useful other than for bragging rights - though equally if I knew my line would give me, say, > 12mbps I'm not going to quibble over a fiver a month.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You are very unlikely to get 12mbps, if you use the Skyuser Checker you will find it estimates 8-9mbps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well now I do have a dilemma.

I just moved my existing router downstairs and the wireless strength isn't fantastic (hard to be 100% sure going off the OS X wireless bars), but of course wireless ranges vary between routers so I'm not sure knowing what a Zyxel can do is very useful vs. a Netgear (I presume?).

So I could just bite the bullet and order on the second line and use the 8 day post-live cool-off if there was a problem.

Or I could risk a migration and hope Sky get it right first time on the existing line (which would be my preference tbh it's just the nagging doubt that they'll stuff it up).

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

From what I hear, migrations are now working properly, with people getting their Sky router in time for the line switch over. You might even get your router before I get mine.

Maybe now is the right time to migrate - before they find some other entirely new way of inconveniencing their customers.