Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router Advice..

This is a discussion on Router Advice.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, im currently using the dlink g604t (old) router after not been impressed with the sky one! recently i have ...

jamiem1987 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router Advice..

hi, im currently using the dlink g604t (old) router after not been impressed with the sky one! recently i have been getting really high pings with online game (mostly using xbox live), ive done speed tests and they are all good, im going to try ringing sky up today to get the max delays reduced that ive read on here about, but im also after a new router, ive heard the WRT54G is good and reasonably cheap now, but has anyone any suggestions on what router i should be looking for?

imn on the max package and im getting 860kbps downstream and 64kbps up, many thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router Advice..

What is wrong with the Netgear? Have you updated the firmware of the D-Link, it does not support ADSL2+ with it's standard firmware, which the Netgear does.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

imo the netgear router has very slow wireless speeds compared to my dlink, im not sure if anyone else has experienced this? many thanks

Thanks

With the proper adapter the Netgear is capable of 108mbps, the D-Link is not. Don't think I am putting down the D-Link G604T, I have had one for years and it sits on my desk waiting for when, or if the Netgear goes down.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i havent been able to get anywhere near 54mbps let alone 108 out of the netgear, where as the dlink performs well in wifi benchmarks that ive done, do you think the netgear is overall better than the dlink then? and should i expect better internet performance with it? thanks for the advice mate i appreciate it, im guna check out the netgear again tonight and try changing channels on the wireless side see if that can increase the speed.

Thanks

The netgear does not have a very good name, on this forum at least, for wireless communication. I can't really comment, as I only use the wireless to communicate across a room, straight through the door into the next door room. Both the routers give me the full 54mbps. I use a BT 1055 adapter which is only capable of 54, so I don't know how it performs at 108mbps. To get the 108 you need a matching Netgear adapter, as different manufacturers use different protocols to attain the higher speed.

I have read that you can turn off the netgear wireless and plug a better performing wireless router into it, but I have never bothered to try as I don't need any extra performance. You may find info on this in the wifi part of the forum.

I don't think there is much difference in net usage, both mine sync at about the same speed.

TomD

Useful Utilites