Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Thinking of signing up - advice please

This is a discussion on Thinking of signing up - advice please within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys, Im currently with Poopex Homecall ADSL for broadband + phone. I currently sync at 2400 up, 448 down ...

lordmuggins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NINY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thinking of signing up - advice please

Hey guys,

Im currently with Poopex Homecall ADSL for broadband + phone. I currently sync at 2400 up, 448 down (pretty steady, sometimes 2336 up), and my big figures are 62dB down, but with a pretty constant 9dB margin. This is really because I'm in the back end of nowhere - almost 6km from the exchange.

Anyway, Im fairly happy with my sync figures considering, however it only operates at 1mb. When I called Pipex about it, they claimed "Well, if that was me, I'd be happy with that download speed!" to my astonishment. Seems they're capping me for some reason, or have a very badly stuck BRAS profile - been like this forever though.

Anyways - the contract ends on October 13. Can someone please advise me on how to work this whole thing (getting my MAC, dates etc) so I can have minimal downtime with Sky. I want to sign up before Sept 30; and I know I'll be paying my PIPEX up until the end of my period - that's fine.

So any advice is appreciated. Also I'll be moving to Connect for a fiver a month; so I'm assuming my exchange is due to be LLU'd in the nearby future. Can anyone give me an idea on the speeds I should be expecting to get from sky too? Also I'm hearing about massive router problems - I'm currently running a Safecom 54125, ADSL2+ router; seems to be doing the trick!

Thanks guys!

Matt

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Thinking of signing up - advice please

speed on Sky, around the same....

router is fine, some people are just a bit anal about using their own...altho there are a few bugs but nothing a bit of trial and error cant fix

as for speed issues on Pipex, thats down to the profile not them capping you as its a rebranded BT product (maybe contention is playing a part too??)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you paying your phone rental to your ISP or BT? It should not matter, but several have run into the 'incompatible product' problem. You would be well advised to change your phone to Sky at the same time, they do some good deals. Apart from that, you are less likely to run into the incompatible product problem, which has driven a few on the forum up the wall!

I don't think you will see much speed advantage until your exchange is Sky enabled, even then it may not be much more. On Connect you will be using the same service, with a different name.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, my speed is consistently exactly 1mb - even though Im connected at 2.4. Either contention is the same 24/7, or we've got a stuck profile. Im hoping by switching to Sky, we can get that fixed (Pipex wouldn't get involved).

Also, we have our phone with Homecall. We pay our line rental to them. We have TV with Sky, and were hoping to switch to the TV, Broadband and Sky Talk (free evening and weekends) mix. Can you advise what way around I need to do this?

I understand that we pay our line-rental to homecall, but we're on a CPS system; so its just a matter of going back to BT Option 1 (line rental only) + Sky, right?

I'm gathering that all I need to do is request my MAC code, and Sky would do the rest.. or do I need to ring Homecall and advise them on the fact the phone will be switching too?

Matt

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think Homecall is one of the products that cause incompatible problems. It would be better to get off that before you switch. You could try phoning Sky, hope you get someone with sense, and explain the situation to them. When I signed up for the 5 talk anytime + international, Sky did everything. I was with BT though, so that might have made the difference. I took the 5 deal as my wife phones Canada a lot and it was costing us a fortune.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Does anyone know how I go about switching from Homecall then?

Can I get Homecall to cancel the 'voice' without the broadband; this is what I don't get - as far as I know you either have both, or none with them? Or shall I leave it up to Sky?

Matt