Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ethernet connecton problem

This is a discussion on ethernet connecton problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I`ve had a good connection with a belkin wireless usb for ages[didnt have a network card]. But on connecting a ...

doctord is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

ethernet connecton problem

I`ve had a good connection with a belkin wireless usb for ages[didnt have a network card]. But on connecting a pc [which was replaced at my work and had a network card] via the ethernet cable,sometimes it will say "page cannot be displayed" even when my original pc will be able to show the same page via its wireless connection.
      When i seem unable to make a connection via ethernet cable, and this can last hours, the taskbar icon is indicating "enabled".When it does work , it is slower than my wireless pc.
      I am using the original cable provided by sky, but could it be a cable problem despite the network indicating "enabled".
      However i tried connecting my daughters laptop via same cable and it worked fine and much faster than my ex-works pc running a pentium4 on W2K.
      Unless i can get a more reliable and faster ethernet connection i will be forced to continue using my puny pentium3 running Windows M.E.
      Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: ethernet connecton problem

Ethernet cables are pretty robust and the fact that the cable works fine with your daughter's laptop suggests it's OK anyway. Most likely, the problem is down to your PC's network configuration.

Your PC will translate hostnames like www.skyuser.co.uk into a numerical internet address using a system called DNS. A network connection will have to have the numerical address of at least one DNS server in order to access that system. Now if the the network connection on your PC is configured with the addresses of two DNS servers, the first which is not available, the second which is, then you might see the kind of behaviour your seeing at the moment.

It's probably best to have your network connection work out all the addresses for itself (using a system called DHCP, which the Sky router supports), but if your PC was set up at work, there's a good chance that it won't be using DHCP, and there's an equally good chance that the DNS settings will be wrong.

I don't have a W2K machine so I'm having to do this from memory, but if I remember correctly, you need to go to the Control Panel and double click on the Networking icon. I think that should give you a window showing the available network ports on your PC (in fact, you'll probably just see the one network port). Right click on that and select properties. This will then give you a rather confusing dialogue box with lots of weird looking options. In the Protocols and Services list, select the item containing the term "TCP/IP", then click on the Properties button. You'll then see the TCP/IP properties window. I suspect this will have the "Use the following IP address" option selected. Change that to "Obtain an IP address automatically". That activates the other option control on that window, and you need to make sure that the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" option is set. Close all the dialogue boxes you've opened by clicking on the "OK" buttons. Once you've done that, it's probably easiest to reboot.

Hopefully this will help, but like I say, I'm doing this from memory, and I'm not even sure if this is your problem. It's certainly worth checking these settings in any case.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ thats correct, same for Windows XP machines, but id recommend using OpenDNS as ur DNS servers (prefered: - 208.67.222.222, secondary: - 208.67.220.220) and then reboot
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

doctord is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies. My ex-works pc is DHCP enabled and originally i had deleted the specified IP and DNS addresses and set to obtain automatically but couldnt get connected..In retrospect however i think this was because Sky Connect was down at the time. I had left the settings at the specified addresses as in the Sky help that came with broadband CD.
      Reverting to automatic didnt help much , but using your specified DNS addresses has nearly brought the speed up to my wireless pc and so far the line is stable.