Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless Adaptor Question?

This is a discussion on Wireless Adaptor Question? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My Broadband service has so far been pretty satusfactory, however I do use my laptop wirelessly a lot. When its ...

Shayes6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Adaptor Question?

My Broadband service has so far been pretty satusfactory, however I do use my laptop wirelessly a lot. When its connected its fine, the speeds are decent, however the connection does drop a lot.

Wheelie kindly suggested changing the mode to Auto in the wireless settings, however that has made little difference.

My question anyway is that my network card is a Netgear 54mbps which worked with no problems with my previous Netgear DG834 router, so as the router supports 108mbps, would my connection be more stable if I bought a 108mbps wireless USB adaptor?

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      not necessarily - depends what the problem is.

try using your laptop near the router for a while and see if it still drops out. if it does then it is not a problem with the signal - if it doesn't then it may be the signal is weak from the router to your laptop where you are using it.

try it and report - we can take further checks depending on the result

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The laptop is in the next room with no walls in between (probably 10 metres at most).

My signal strength according to the connection icon ranges from very good to excellent.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Try looking on the Netgear website and see if there are any updated drivers that could also help.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Shayes6 View Post
      The laptop is in the next room with no walls in between (probably 10 metres at most).

My signal strength according to the connection icon ranges from very good to excellent.
      so it is not a signal problem. sounds like it is the normal freeze/drop out problem some of us are getting. buying a new 108mb usb adaptor will not help this.

you will just need to keep rebooting the router, hopefully in an attempt to find a stable sync rate - if you can't contact sky tech support

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers guys its appreciated.

Wheelie, unfortunately there isnt an updated driver for my card. However I do also have a USB adaptor which has updated drivers, so I'll be giving that a go soon.

Im sure it will settle down eventually, its still a very new service, so I'll keep the faith for the time being

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Worth a try and yep it will I am sure of that just no idea when.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Think Ive solved it. I had input my own static IP address, but now Ive configured it to obtain one automatically & it all seems hunky dory

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Ah thats good news

You know you can assign each PC its own IP from the router when you login to it goto LAN IP Setup and the option to give each machine a static internal IP is at the bottom I have all 5 of mine set from 192.168.0.2 to 05
      Ray

click here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      i'm suprised you connected at if you had an invalid ip address in there, and if you didn't, it should not have made any difference. so i do not think that was what your problem was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast