Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cancelling Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Cancelling Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I recently migrated to Sky broadband. I use my connection mainly for internet gaming - I did not imagine ...

pf117 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cancelling Sky Broadband

Hi,

I recently migrated to Sky broadband. I use my connection mainly for internet gaming - I did not imagine that Sky would not support fast path!

I've tried requesting max delays being reduced but as of yet am awaiting a response from Sky.

I am just through my first month of Sky broadband, and am very disappointed (85 pings on UK servers from 25 with previous ISP). I would like to leave.

My question is therefore - is it possible to leave Sky before the 12 month contract is up? I am quite prepared to pay the remaining 11 x 5 payments, and either return, or pay the XX amount for the router/cables e.t.c.

If this is possible, and if so, are any additional charges imposed - what would I actually have to pay?

I have searched around various forums and the terms and conditions but haven't found anything.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Cancelling Sky Broadband

If Sky have a log of all your problems and communications with them regarding the problems and if to this day you are still experiencing the same issues, They should really let you go, At the end of the day, They havent fixed your problem.

The T&Cs state (I think), That its a Solid 12 Months, No buyouts (You just keep it installed and pay it month for month - But obviously if you want to migrate that can be a pain).

Maybe you can call them hopefully get to a half-decent rep and explain to them you want to leave for the main reasons they they havent been able to sort these issues out and you are fed up of waiting.

You never know, You could get away without paying out the rest of the term?

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

hmm maybe one of the sky techies may have heard of this before

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you can buy out, and yes it wold be 11x5 (dunno about any other charges)...someone will prob give a definate answer tho soon

as for not supporting Fast - shoulda checked it out really as said many times before Sky is not aimed at gamers
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hmmmm if you REALLY want out the T&C's say that they can give you 7 days notice on the account (even in the 1st 12 months) if you put your own equipment on and they get the hump over it.

I Suppose you could stick another router on it and see if that a) improves anything and b) sky may cancel your account.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick response.

From what I've read it appears that Sky do not claim to not support internet gaming. Since my latency issues don't really affect anything but gaming, I anticipate Sky will say that latencies of 80ish do not consitute a "problem", and hence no grounds for leaving.

I realise I should have checked whether they supported fast path before signing up, but in my niavety I did not realise that companies would ever not support this!
      Last edited by pf117; 12-09-07 at 10:56 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ about your first point - that pretty much sums it up

you should be able to cancel tho but will have to pay the remainder of the contract. I'm not 100% on this but im sure you can do this...

Sky's service is primarily aimed at people who just want an internet connection and download some music/movies etc....gaming wasn't really considered a large market at the time and as such don't really accommodate gaming settings. Whether they decide to in future is up to them really

the only time you can leave with no charge is if service cannot be provided at all or any faster than 256KB i believe
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I take it you play FPS games as when I play World Of Warcraft and Lord of The Rings online any latency under 100ms on any of the ISP's I have used (NTL, BT and Sky) is a miracle and I can normally expect 150-300ms to be the norm.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah. I play Counterstrike 1.6 and source.

Anyone else managed to leave within 12 months?

Cheers

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

All i can add is that i play cs source online and ping around 20ms to all the uk servers, so for me gaming on sky is great as is the 13meg i get with sky with no problems ever...

I know this does not help you but why does it work great for me and not for you ?

The only things i have done is eliminated noise on my line by removing extensions and have plugged into router via ethernet.

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast