Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection stopped working...

This is a discussion on Connection stopped working... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have recently migrated to Sky from BE Unlimited (which was a great ISP, only reason I moved was ...

Bigmonty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connection stopped working...

Hi

I have recently migrated to Sky from BE Unlimited (which was a great ISP, only reason I moved was that the wife has an ew job with Sky as an accountant and once her probation is up we will get most of our Sky products for free).

The migration date was 6th September and all seemed to go well as when I left for work I was still connected with BE but when I came home from work I had been changed to Sky. The speeds seemed okay (I was virtually getting what I was getting with BE), I did however have to reset the modem once a day because the connection would die.

I came home from work last night (11 Sept) to find my connection had died. My router would no longer connect to the internet. I phoned Sky Tier 1 and went through all their checks. However they focus on the connections in your house and if you have connected something up wrong. However I have extensive IT experience and have had no trouble connecting anything in my house and am in fact conneted directly to the master through a face plate splitter. So they were no help at all. The said that I will now have to wait for Tier 2 to call me, however I will not be home for the next 2 days so that is no use.

I tried the connection this morning in a vain attempt to see if not work, to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Connection stopped working...

by faceplate splitter u mean filtered faceplate yeah?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes I meant filtered faceplate.

UPDATE - I have spoken to tier 2 who have said that I now have an "incompatable product on my line".

Does anyone have any idea what that means. Nothing has changed at my end. I migrated fine then a week later I have an incompatable product!! Any checks I can do at my end?

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Decided to call BT Wholesale off my own back and see if there was a marker of some sort on my line.

I spoke to a very helpful guy called Andre who saw straight away what the problem was. He said there was some information missing from my account which meant my broadband wouldn't work. He said he wasn't sure how this could have happened seeing as I had been connected fine for 5 days before that.

He did say that he could sort it by sending an e-mail to the team the dealt with these issues and it should be fixed within 2 working days. He did however mention that if it wasn't fixed by then I would have to contact Sky directly and get them to contact BT.

Hopefully it will be fixed in 2 days, if not then I have a call in with tier 3 at the moment for them to phone me back within 3-5 days. So hopefully they will call and then they can deal with it.

What a farse!!

Thanks

incompatible products is nothing to do with Sky - have you recently added any additional services to your line? google 'star (*) services' or the whole incompatible products thing and there's more info about...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Source: Your Broadband Order Status

"Q. I rang the Order Tracking line and it states that I am unable to have ADSL broadband as I have incompatible products on my line. What does this mean and can I get these removed?

A. Your broadband service will be delivered over British Telecom lines. BT's line checks may identify incompatible products on the line your broadband service is being provisioned on which will prevent the order from progressing. In order to resolve this you must contact BT to have these incompatible products removed.

The most common reasons for incompatibility on a BT line are, but not limited to: BT Highway, PBX lines, Red Care, BT Video, BT DataStream and coin box operated phones. Please call either BT Residential Customer Services on 150 or BT's general Customer Services on 0800 800 829 for further information."

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

see also What to do if your Broadband Order Fails - Help & Support which is also interesting on this topic

Exchange:
      Thanks

Since my last update I have since spoken to tier 3. I reitterated what BT said to me and suggest that Sky phoned them to get this sorted. He said they had came to the conclusion (him and someone from tier 2) that my order needed cancelled and all tags needed removed. He said they had more information at their end that suggested that even if BT did what they said they would my broadband would still not work.

He has now cancelled my broadband and put something in to try and get the tags all removed, which should take a week. Then my broadband will need to be reordered.

I am fortunate to have a brother who works at Sky who works in the ordering department for broadband who looked at my account. He said that my account was now in a Pending Cancel state. He would keep and eye on it and then reorder my broadband when it was clear and 'rejoin' my account.

I am having second thoughts about staying with Sky however and when my line is clear I might just get it cancelled. This is my 8th day of my cooling off period today, how easy would it be to get out of my contract after today giving my problems?

Thanks.

Edit: also I never added any new products. The only thing I can think of that would have affected my broadband on 11th Sept is that this was the date that my contract ran out with my old provider. Even though I migrated to Sky on the 6th. Come the 11th I wonder if my old provider communicated some info to BT which affected my line?? Will never know I suppose!
      Last edited by Bigmonty; 14-09-07 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks

^ he's breaking company policy helping a family member btw - could get fired if found out...