Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problem Installing Mcafee

This is a discussion on Problem Installing Mcafee within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Firstly I would like to say hello to everyone, only just joined this forum today, couldn't believe my luck when ...

sblewer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problem Installing Mcafee

Firstly I would like to say hello to everyone, only just joined this forum today, couldn't believe my luck when I found it. Thank God it exists as I have been tearing my hair out.

I hope someone can help.

I have recently purchased a new PC, with Vista Home Premium installed, and decided to go for the Sky Max Broadband package.

After being messed about by Sky regarding my router (sent 4, received 1), I finally received it, and my activation date last week.

I immediately installed the CD that came with the router, and followed all instructions to the letter.

Everything seemed to install fine, but then it tried to install Mcafee. It didn't work, saying that the version wasn't compatible with Vista.

Ok, I thought, so I clicked cancel.

I then went onto Sky's website, after reading on another forum, that the CD does actually come with the wrong version for Vista, but I could get the correct version of Sky's website.

Now comes my problem. Sky's website doesn't work! I go into the Securtiy section, after loggin in, but when I click on the install Mcafee link, it stops working, and does nothing.

We have contacted Sky, and they say their is a major problem with their site at present, and to keep trying, but this means, that while I have to wait for them to fix it, I am unable to use the internet in fear of getting a virus etc!

Is anyone else suffering with this problem at the moment?

I know a lot of people on here have complained about Mcafee anyway, and say it is rubbish, but one of the things that attracted me to signing on with Sky Broadband was the free Internet Security.

Does anyone have any idea when Sky is going to sort this problem out?

Cheers

Steve

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Problem Installing Mcafee

I don't use Mcafee purely because there are better options out there, this possibly might not be the answer you wanted to hear but I use Avast because it is free and you daily, sometimes two or three times a day updates.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

one of the things that attracted me to signing on with Sky Broadband was the free Internet Security.
      This is a bit of a con, anyone who uses the internet can find free security applications. As Alan says, Avast is one of many. I personally use AVG7.5 free as I have used Grisoft's products for years and they have never let me down. AVG Antispy free is also worth downloading, it works as a full product for 30 days giving live protection, then reverts to scan/remove only. I would advise you to download and install these.

As you have gathered, few on the forum use McAfee and usually the advice you will get to fix it, is to uninstall it completely and use something else. You may find someone who can help with your problem, but as few use it, I have my doubts. The fact that you are using Vista makes it worse as Sky will not support it yet.

If you are using Vista, just make sure that the firewall is enabled and this, together with the firewall built into the router gives you reasonably good protection. Also make sure that Windows Defender is enabled and uppdated, it is not a great product, but it does help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I use McAfee and swear by it - never had a single issue in 7 years BAR not being able to put it on Vista - this was solved by downloading it again from McAfee which downloads the correct installer for Vista

however, seems im in the minority
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

BAR not being able to put it on Vista - this was solved by downloading it again from McAfee which downloads the correct installer for Vista
      This would appear to be the answer to the OP's problem. Maybe you could point him to the correct download location.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

well, AFAIK, you have to have ur copy registered to you already (if you have another PC running XP then install it on that and then register it with McAfee)

once done, you can log into your account via McAfee's website and download it again.....I was lucky as I already had my copy reg'd before upgrading to Vista...

EDIT: - https://uk.mcafee.com/root/login.asp...e=PLEASE_LOGIN

^ try that link, not sure if you can reg your copy through that or not but once logged in there you can get to the download...
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 12-09-07 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Link added
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I have just come across this by accident when looking for something else. I was in the Email page and clicked the Help button and found this page-
      Sky.com - Security Centre>Article

If you go there; and you still want to use it, you should be able to download the latest version of McAfee, which I assume is compatible with Vista.

TomD

Useful Utilites