Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband dont work after its been idle for a while.

This is a discussion on Broadband dont work after its been idle for a while. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi got an annoying problem. When i turn on the router and computer in the morning it will work fine. ...

DOCH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Broadband dont work after its been idle for a while.

Hi
      got an annoying problem.
      When i turn on the router and computer in the morning it will work fine.
      Then if i leave the router on and turn the computer off all day and come back and turn on the computer in the evening, broadband wont work.

normally at this point if i release the ip address and renew it, normally it works. or if i reboot the router and the computer it works aswell.

when i was with ntl i could leave the modem idle for days and it would work first time when i turned my machine on.

i phoned the sky support team (who btw don't have a clue and are reading from a pre written script. ) the woman basically asked be to set up a static (manually configured) ip address.

this still hasn't cured the problem.

Any one know whats going on here and how to fix it.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Broadband dont work after its been idle for a while.

hmmthis is quite strange as i leave my router on all the time and it does not seem to go idle! Are you using the router supplied by sky?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you using a 2 wire extension up to your 3rd storey, as you were before? Or do you have the router plugged into the Master socket?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi, thanks for the replys, yes i am using the white netgear router from sky.

as for the 3rd floor basically from the master socket theres a run off which supplies a proper in the wall socket for the second floor and i have an extention running off that.
      so from the master socket you could say theres 2 extentions depends how u look at it.

how will this affect the router connection tho apart from speed?

Thanks

Thanks

If the extension is not working faultlessly it will degrade the connection, errors will build up and eventually the connection will drop. Have you disconnected the 'ring' wire from all the No 3 terminals. This may help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If the extension is not working faultlessly it will degrade the connection, errors will build up and eventually the connection will drop. Have you disconnected the 'ring' wire from all the No 3 terminals. This may help.
      i havnt checked the ring wire. is this what makes the phone ring?
      if so i cant remove this as we have a phone on every floor.

im thinking about taking a connection from the master socket where thers only 2 core cable comming in to the house straignt up to the top floor so it would be like having 2 master sockets in the house. do you think this idea would work?

cheers

Forthpalm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wisbech
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Maybe instead of sticking another extension onto your master socket - would it not be better to stick with the initial master socket and from there use a filter and have a telephone extention from that to serve your "voice" needs and also from the same filter stick your router in there (so no extention with a router at the end).

If you then need to place your pc somewhere else in the house use a LAN cable to connect it to the router, that way your will keep the fastest speed and your router will be connected directly to the master socket (which is always ideal).

Just a thought as you did say you were going to run a phone extension anyway.

Any phone extension (which you then connect to a router) will degrage the line and increase noise which equals a lower speed and more drop outs, whereas LAN cables running from the router can be as long as you want and they do not degrade over distance (get a cat 5 cable).

LAN cable is really cheap from a place like Maplins and they come if various colours which helps in case you have problems hidding cables.

Hope this helps

Andy

Thanks

The ring wire is only required for older phones, newer phones don't use it. I am assuming that you have filters on all the equipment you have connected to the phone line, including the Sky box which is known to cause problems if not connected through a filter?

im thinking about taking a connection from the master socket where thers only 2 core cable comming in to the house straignt up to the top floor so it would be like having 2 master sockets in the house. do you think this idea would work?
      I think you asked this before and were told it was illegal. But if you think you can find a way to lead this wire, then I would recommend instead that you get an ADSL Nation faceplate, for your existing Master socket. Use the internal connections on the faceplate to run a CAt5 cable upstairs to a dedicated ADSL socket close to where you want to position your router. The alternate would be to get a Nation faceplate and run an ethernet cable to the router.

Either way I would definitely recommend an ADSL faceplate, as when using one of these you can remove the loose filters, which are always a possible source of problems.

TomD

Useful Utilites