Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oh No my fears may come to reality!!

This is a discussion on Oh No my fears may come to reality!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I decided the offer of Sky was to good to turn down, so on August 21st I requested a MAC ...

paul9619 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blandford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh No my fears may come to reality!!

I decided the offer of Sky was to good to turn down, so on August 21st I requested a MAC code from Namesco and ordered Sky Broadband Mid Package.

I then found this great site and started to have a read through some of the many posts. I started to get a little worried when I read about how the Router was turning up sometimes up to 6-7 weeks after activation.

So when I still had not received my router I gave them a call this morning. They Broadband CS told me that for some reason a delay had been put on the activation. They said it stuck at BT's end. What happens now is the Sky team have to chase up why there has been a problem at sky's end.

Not sure how long this is going to take but I get the feeling that on Sep 19th when my current ISP contract expires I am going to be left without broadband. Basically Sky have 8 days to sort this out before that happens. I am not holding my breath

Out of interest has anyone else experienced anything like this?
      Also is there any number at BT I can ring to find out whats going on?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Ryker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Oh No my fears may come to reality!!

Have you received a letter from Sky saying when your Sky BB will be activated?

You have stated your current BB will end on the 19th, my guess would be that your Sky BB will be activated on the 19th/20th as I do not think that you can have two internet service providers sharing the same BT phone line.
      ... The dead only know one thing, that it is better to be alive! ...

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
      Have you received a letter from Sky saying when your Sky BB will be activated?
      No letter as of yet.

When you migrate I have a feeling it does not matter when your current ISP runs out, they will just switch it early.

Bigmonty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You are right, they normally switch it early.

Mine was due to runs out on 11th Sept but they switched me on the 6th.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unless you have actually given your ISP notice, or they you, your service should not be discontinued at the expiry of your MAC. This would be against the Ofcom regulations. The problem arises if your MAC is not applied and completed, during the 30 day period, you may have to ask for another. If the first MAC is stuck in Sky's system, that is when the fun begins.

Hopefully it will not come to this and your transfer will complete successfully.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

How do you check your order status on BT's website.

I am logging into the BT site with my username and pword. Then I go to order status. There are then 2 options either Landline or Broadband order status.

Landline seems the only viable option as the broadband one seems to be looking for a BT adsl login.

Within the landline option I have no entries regarding my sky migration???
      Should I have by now?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Yes, Landline is what you want. If it is reporting properly you should at least see the details of when BB was originally enabled on your line. If this is shown and nothing else then something has held it up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Perseus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's quite possible that your order has become stuck in BT-Openreach's systems. As many errors as can occur on the Sky side of things, there are as many on the BT side too.

It's been noted recently that BT-OR do sideline orders and push back activation dates for a variety of reasons.

There could be a shortage of tie pair allocations, exchange maintenance being carried out (on Sky/Easynet equipment, or the exchange in general), there could be an open fault on the phoneline, there could be an engineer resource shortage etc.

In terms of your MAC, if the delay goes on past the expiry date, your order will not complete. All the time your order is in delay and within the MAC expiry date, your old ISP's service will continue.

It is only when the switch the circuits in the latter stage of the order that your old service goes down and your Sky service will activate.

If you're worried about your current ISP's contract expiring, then give them a call. Most ISP's roll you into a month by month contract after your 12 months is up, in which case your service would continue until the MAC is used (within its validity date of course).

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul9619 View Post
      How do you check your order status on BT's website.
      Click here:

BT.com | Small & medium business | Your account | Order Tracking

Login and select the 'view all your orders' option.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still no luck. I phoned the sky provisioning team today, who said they would investigate and get back to me. Low and behold no phone call.

I have no entries on my BT order tracker

My current ISP is due to run out on 19th sep. I am seriously contemplating cancelling with Sky and sticking with my current ISP.

Where would I stand, considering I have already given my MAC code to Sky. I really do not need any internet downtime as I have just started a Degree course and the internet is a must for my research.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast