Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Basic Troubleshooting

This is a discussion on Basic Troubleshooting within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Activation date was yesterday and the internet light went on as expected - however when I tried to get online ...

perrywhite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lightbulb Basic Troubleshooting

Activation date was yesterday and the internet light went on as expected - however when I tried to get online it the software would not complete the installation.
      Spent some time with technical support trying to solve this but got no joy - however after dialling off I looked at my network connection settings and found that one of my ethernet network connections was disabled, so I enabled this and hey presto straight on line.
      Its a simple check and I feel a bit stupid I didn't spot it earlier but as my earlier broadband was on a USB modem and I've never used ethernet at home before it didn't dawn on me (I'm guessing it got diabled when installing the USB modem before as I've never consciously disabled it), however, I'm surprised neither the installation software nor technical support suggested this simple check, so I thought I would suggest it to the wider world in case you are having installation issues especially after a migration (in my case from AOL).
      First impressions are that the broadband service seems great (once installed!)and I'm getting the 8 meg I paid for. I'll forgive technical support the obvious teething problems given the service is so new - I felt sorry for the guy I spoke to last night, I could tell he really did not have a clue how to resolve my problem.

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      great news you are up and running!

it agree it is a shame that their first line contacts know so little about what they are selling. they will learn, but in the first instance you get better adive on sites like this than phoning them

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site perrywhite

I really have no idea why they would want you to install the CD as its not need to get the router working and unless you want to use the security suite there is little point in running it, it does however update IE and it also puts a couple of links on the desktop and a folder in C:\Program Files\Sky Broadband but thats basically help files nothing else.

Anyway glad you are up and running
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here