Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Lost Internet Connection and Laptop

This is a discussion on Lost Internet Connection and Laptop within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have lost my Sky Broadband connection for some unknown reason. A week ago my daughter bought a laptop to ...

nurtonc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Lost Internet Connection and Laptop

I have lost my Sky Broadband connection for some unknown reason. A week ago my daughter bought a laptop to connect to the same router, via one of the sockets, and I don't know if this could be a reason. The laptop has not lost the connection, it is only my PC. When the laptop was first connected, a week ago, the Internet connection was lost for a time on both the PC and the laptop. They both re-connected at the same time. During this connection break the Sky dial up connection remained on my Network Connections. Now it is no longer there. I tried to restore it by re-loading the disk but this was not possible because I got an error message saying my copy of Windows is not genuine. This was a problem when the engineer installed Sky Broadband in June, but he found a way of getting round it. I don't know how.

I would be very grateful if anyone can advise me of (1) what has happened and if it could have anything to do with the laptop, and (2) how can I restore the Broadband connection on my PC.

From previous experience I think phoning the Sky help desk would be a waste of time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Lost Internet Connection and Laptop

You don't need the CD.

If the laptop connects via cable and your machine is failing to connect by wireless it suggests a wireless encryption problem. Check the wireless settings on your machine and if necessary reset them to WPA and apply the passphrase printed on the router.

If no joy, use the laptop to access the router's user interface (see help files on Sky CD for how) and temporarily disable wireless security until you establish a reliable wireless connection.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, I should have specified that both the PC and laptop are connected by cable. For some reason the PC can no longer access the Internet and the Sky dial up icon in Network Connections has disapeared.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you disconnect the laptop and the desktop then works again, it may be an IP address problem. So someone can suggest a solution, I would repost under a heading like "when one computer connects to router other can't"

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

On the offchance that you have unknowingly made a change to the router set up, try resetting it. To do this, unplug both PCs, power up the router, when it is fully powered push the point of a biro into the little hole below the power plug and hold it for a count of 10.
      The lights will flash and the router will reboot, when it is fully powered, plug in your PC, the port number you plug into should light up, if it doesn't, try another port. If it does not connect, leaving it plugged in and reboot your PC. If you connect, plug in the laptop see if it will connect, if it does not connect reboot it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your responses. The problem now seems to be sorted.