Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

email/newsgroup help

This is a discussion on email/newsgroup help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; HI sorry for posting here I didnt get any replies on the other forum My sky mail is working fine, ...

jaye944 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01753
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

email/newsgroup help

HI sorry for posting here

I didnt get any replies on the other forum

My sky mail is working fine,

I have set up 2 account identities on outlook. (my sky and my Demon one)

However, my old email (dial up on Demon) I cant get to work on broadband

its like pop3.demon.co.uk

now, can I only access my demon account by dial-up to demon if I want to access it via outlook (there is a web based email thing which works)

also does sky have a news group ?

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: email/newsgrpoup help

sky doesn't offer newsgroups.

re collecting your mail (http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/producthelp/mail/faq/):

Using POP3 to read your e-mail elsewhere
      A significant advantage of POP3 is that you can read your e-mail from anywhere on the Internet that you can run a POP3 client, without having to dial in to Demon. Using SDPS, you can read (and delete, if you wish) any e-mail that has been sent to your Demon host and not yet been downloaded. This is particularly useful if you are away for a week or two: you can visit a "Cyber Cafe", for example, and read and reply to your e-mail, instead of waiting until you get back home.
      To use this feature, you will need to set up a separate POP3 password. This must be done from your own Demon dial-up host, and you will not be able to use POP3 from elsewhere until you have set it up.
      To set the password for your POP3 account, the process is an extension of that for setting your account password.
      Telnet to password.demon.co.uk from your dial-up account. Log in using your host name and dial-up password. You will be led through the process by a series of menu options. Access to password.demon.co.uk is only available from your demon account.
      NOTE: password.demon.co.uk can not currently be used to set a Homepages password. Any attempt to alter Homepages passwords will be ignored.
      When you have set a POP3 password, you will be able to access your mail via POP3 using the new password from any host on the Internet. When you wish to access your mail via POP3 from your standard dialup host, either password may be used.
      To read your e-mail from elsewhere, your software should be configured as follows:
      POP3 server = pop3.demon.co.uk
      Outgoing SMTP server = The local outgoing mail server
      User name or login name = your hostname
      Password = your separate Demon POP3 password
      "Save mail on server" should be turned on or,
      "Store mail locally" should be turned off
      See the common clients section for details on how to configure common POP3 clients.
      You can now collect and read your e-mail by selecting 'Get Mail' from your POP3 client. Turnpike users should check the 'Receive Mail' option in the Services menu in Connect.
      There are a few important points you should note:
      If you read a message via SDPS, and do not download it within 30 days of it arriving at Demon, then after the 30 days have expired, it may be deleted without a "bounce" message being sent to the author.
      If you delete a message using your POP3 client, it will be deleted from the Demon mail system. You cannot retrieve it subsequently.
      If your dial-up host connects to Demon while you are using SDPS, strange effects may occur because of conflicts between the two systems.
      When using POP3, all e-mail for your Demon host will arrive in the same mailbox. Many POP3 clients, including Turnpike, will allow you to automatically route your e-mail to different mailboxes or folders based on the To: and From: lines in the message header. Alternatively, you can use the multiple mailbox feature.
      If you're reading your mail in a public place such as a "Cyber Cafe", remember to delete your login, password details and any local copies of your e-mail before you leave, or the next person to use the software will be able to read your mail.
      WARNING: You will be sending this password over the Internet in unencrypted form. If you are concerned that it may have been compromised, you should change it as soon as possible. It's a good idea to change your password regularly anyway.
      Last edited by reddwarfcrew; 01-09-07 at 11:05 AM.

jaye944 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01753
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: email/newsgrpoup help

Thankxs man !

will give that a try