Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is My Exchange Down, How Do I Tell?

This is a discussion on Is My Exchange Down, How Do I Tell? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, just need a bit of help with something. Been using sky broadband for a while now. Service is usually ...

pingpong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is My Exchange Down, How Do I Tell?

Hi, just need a bit of help with something. Been using sky broadband for a while now. Service is usually ok, bit slow sometimes but have learned to live with it. We are on the 5 a month package. Over the last few days we have a wireless connection but no internet pages will display?!?! The green internet light is not on either on the router, this never happens. Also strangely our phone line has no dialling tone. We contacted BT and got them to test the line and they said there were no faults on the line. We borrowed a neighbour's phone to check that our phone wasn't broken but even their phone gave us no dialling tone. The last resort was to unplug the broadband, as soon as we did this we then had a dialling tone and the phone works fine. As soon as we plugged broadband back in - no dialling tone again!!! Very frustrating. BT claim it's nothing to do with them and must be a problem with Sky Broadband. I contacted SKy Broadband and they said that my exchange is down at the moment, they couldn't tell me how long it had been down for and said engineers are working on it. They couldn't tell me how long it would be down for either. I asked them why this would affect my phone line and they said that it would definitely affect it and make it not work but couldn't really tell me why. All they could tell me was to keep trying every day until the exchange was up and running again. (I believe my exchange is Sanderstead, Surrey). I wasn't confident that the guy I spoke to knew what he was talking about and they wouldn't put me through to Tier 3.

The question: - does anyone know whether this broadband outage would affect my phoneline i.e. no dialling tone?

Is there another way to tell whether there is a problem at my exchange?

Many thanks in advance for any advise anyone can give.

Pingpong

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Is My Exchange Down, How Do I Tell?

Sounds like they are talking rubbish again!! Tell them your router went bang and smoke came out of it! that should get then moving! and see your other post to find out why!

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Is My Exchange Down, How Do I Tell?

There are no curent outages at LSSAN.
      It is likely to be your router as Koala5 says, but before you do this, make sure it isn't a microfilter that's gone faulty by unplugging EVERYTHING from the phone line apart from the broadband, then swap the filter you're using with another one. If this then works, the filter you've just removed is faulty, not the router.