Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Activated Early?

This is a discussion on Activated Early? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My activation date is the 30/08/07, yet as of the 28/08/07 I was able to access the internet. I am ...

hellfire18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GARFORTH
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Activated Early?

My activation date is the 30/08/07, yet as of the 28/08/07 I was able to access the internet. I am using the Connect package, Is this normal??

Also, should I now begin the daily reboot of my router for 10 days or should I do it for 12 days instead as it's not technically due to activate until the 30th?

Finally, my connection speed is nothing short of confusing. 1 minute it goes at over 300 kb/sec and then in an instant (9 times out of 10), it goes down to about 30 kb/sec and it continuously stops loading web pages until I hit the refresh button and it suddenly loads, almost like the connections drops for a few seconds and then reconnects?

Thanks for any advice/info.

Chris.

2. Advertisement
      jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Activated Early?

Regarding early connection I guess it's normal. When I switched to my previous ISP, I was connected within 3 days!

They always say 10 days to allow some flexibility between the ISP to do the paperwork and BT to go out and do the switch then report back.
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."

hellfire18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GARFORTH
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank for that. Any idea on the other 2 questions?

Chris.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your line is in a training period this is why the speed goes up and down. The training period starts from when you connect and usually takes about 3 days to find the best speed, although it will not be finally set till after the 10 days are up. This is a good time to check your wiring and make sure your internals are not dragging down the speed. If at all possible plug into the test socket, this will give you the best chance of establishing a good speed.

Use THIS speed test which is the official BT one. You will need your login name from the router, which can be obtained by using Mognuts Utility

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jim5000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your 2 days early are probably taken from my 8 days (so far) late activation!!!!!!! grrrr to you!