Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

12 month contract

This is a discussion on 12 month contract within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm thinking of migrating to Sky, but my exchange hasn't been enabled yet, so I can only get Connect. When ...

rushmere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

12 month contract

I'm thinking of migrating to Sky, but my exchange hasn't been enabled yet, so I can only get Connect.

When the exchange is eventually enabled, will I have to start a new 12 month contract when I move to Mid or Max, or will the existing contract continue?

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 12 month contract

mmmmm ..... there seems to be very little discussion of Sky Connect, which doesn't look very promising. I think I'll look at other suppliers

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connect is a BT product with a Sky badge. You will get the same performance and reliability for any company that rpovides the maxDSL product (which is connect).

In answer to your question, I would say 'no' as it wouldn't seem fair to impose a new 12mth contract.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Not clear but:

(f) The Connect Product will only be offered to you if your Line cannot be connected to our network. If you have the Connect Product and it becomes possible to connect your Line to our network, we may do this automatically and you will be placed on the Mid Product and charged at its standard rate (which will not exceed the rate for Connect and will provide at least the equivalent service). We will notify you of this change. If you wish to choose another Product, you can do so by calling us within one calendar month of notice from us of the change.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I moved from Connect to Mid and to be honest I haven't a clue if I started a new 12 month contract or not. The paperwok I have doesn't mention that I have done so, so I would say I/you probably don't start a new contract when you are moved.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      I moved from Connect to Mid and to be honest I haven't a clue if I started a new 12 month contract or not. The paperwok I have doesn't mention that I have done so, so I would say I/you probably don't start a new contract when you are moved.
      Thanks for the replies. Were you on Connect for long enough to comment on speed and reliability?

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

i am sure you don't start a new contract!

Rygar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Lochnagar
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      You will get the same performance and reliability for any company that rpovides the maxDSL product
      Sorry but that is simply not true. ISPs who provision BT Wholesale ADSL Max can vary vastly in reliability & performance. There's all sorts of things that can distinguish one BT Wholesale ISP from another. How many centrals they have, traffic management policy, peering arrangements etc etc.

The BT Wholesale product sold by ISPs like Zen, Entanet, Newnet, IDNet are very different when obtained via ISPs like Tiscali, Orange, Virgin (ADSL) etc.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar View Post
      Sorry but that is simply not true. ISPs who provision BT Wholesale ADSL Max can vary vastly in reliability & performance. There's all sorts of things that can distinguish one BT Wholesale ISP from another. How many centrals they have, traffic management policy, peering arrangements etc etc.

The BT Wholesale product sold by ISPs like Zen, Entanet, Newnet, IDNet are very different when obtained via ISPs like Tiscali, Orange, Virgin (ADSL) etc.
      I would agree with this whole-heartedly! I've been with several ISPs over the past year or so, all ADSL Max, and performance has varied very widely. That's why I asked about Sky Connect. There seems to be limited discussion about Sky Connect on various forums, which leads me to assume that it's not a particularly popular product, and leaves me worried about committing to a 12 month contract. I'm going to look elsewhere, and consider Sky again when my exchange is enabled for the Mid or Max service.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It's not that it's not a popular product, as over 70% of the country is now unbundled the chance that you have to be on connect is shrinking all the time.

Currently Sky are offering connect for 5 / month if your exchange will be upgraded in the next 6 months or so, might be worthwile seeing if you can get it at that price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast