Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Download Speed Collapses

This is a discussion on Download Speed Collapses within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry about this. I think the only way I can get my head around this is to ask questions. Assume ...

castro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hythe, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Download Speed Collapses

Sorry about this. I think the only way I can get my head around this is to ask questions.
      Assume I have a PC connected to the router by a cable and a Laptop connected via wireless.
      With both computers running and connected, then if the problem is indeed a function of the wireless connection then will the reported errors show, irrespective of where the stats are produced?
      In other words, can a problem between the router and the laptop using the wireless connection, affect the performance of a hard wired PC, if both are connected?

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The stats extracted show details of the connection to the outside ie the phone line. They have no baring on the connection between your computer and the router. Getting the data from the router to a computer can go via 2 routes, Wired ethernet cable or wireless. Wireless often suffers with problems so to check this connect by ethernet cable to the router, if the problem goe's away you know you have trouble with your wireless connection.

This will not show in the stats as the stats only report errors between the router and exchange.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I stayed on G.DMT for 5 days without any disconnects or reported errors. (Not one)
      Download speeds for both wireless and wired was around 7mbps.
      Reverted to ADSL2+ yesterday, maintained a wired only connection and the disconnects and errors returned, even though I set the NM to 9.
      Reverted back to G.DMT late last night and again I have no errors or disconnects.
      Not too clear as to where I go from here.
      BT have renewed the wiring from the outside line to the master socket and replaced the master socket. I have fitted an ADSL Master Faceplate Splitter and I have run all the tests using the test socket with the same results.
      I suppose one further test I could do would be to increase the NM to a much higher value in ADSL2+ mode and see if the errors remain with synch speeds equivalent to those using G.DMT.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I suppose one further test I could do would be to increase the NM to a much higher value in ADSL2+ mode and see if the errors remain with synch speeds equivalent to those using G.DMT.
      This seems a bit pointless, if you have a good connection with G.DMT why try to get the same speed by capping down ADSL2+. What you should do is try to find a margin which will give you a better speed, with stability. You should set a margin of say 10 and gradually increase it till your errors reduce. Or, start with a high margin and gradually decrease it until the errors appear. When you find the best balance, make a note of it and try to keep it set to that. As Koala has said, do this wired, as wireless is not so tolerant of speed reductions and is likely just to drop the connection with the router if the speed drops too much.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Please can you explain why G.DMT mode does not appear to result in errors whereas ADSL2+ produces errors.
      Is it simply because the synch speed is lower or is it something else.
      It does seem that my problems are the result of a noisy line external to my house but why it is only apparent on ADSL2+ mode is beyond me.

Thanks

Simply put ADSL2+ works at double the speed of ADSL -G.DMT, so any faults are multiplied. Rather like walking a tightrope, if you run along it you will get there faster, but there is more chance of you making a mistake and falling off.
      Last edited by Isitme; 09-09-07 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typo

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The aspect of it that I find difficult to understand is that in G.DMT mode I get zero errors. Can I assume that in ADSL2+ mode, as I increase the NM and reduce the speed from the 15mbps that I normally synch at, then at some point the errors will stop?
      What is considered to be a normal error level?

Thanks

The aspect of it that I find difficult to understand is that in G.DMT mode I get zero errors
      You are going slower, so you are not falling off the tightrope so often.

If you set it to ADSL2+ at a high NM, the errors will decrease. The higher the margin, the lower the speed. If you set it to something ridiculous, like 30db, you may find you have no errors but your speed will be drastically reduced. Finding the lowest NM to give you the highest stable speed is the key.

I don't really know if there is such a thing as a normal error level, but some say the acceptable level is about .01% of your Super Frames (SF)
      Last edited by Isitme; 10-09-07 at 02:23 PM. Reason: typo

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK. Thank you.
      I will let you know how I get on.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For whatever reason, if I switch the mode to ADSL2+, have a high NM value and a reduced synch speed, I still get these bursts of errors that drop the connection. If I switch the mode to G.DMT I get no errors and the line never drops.
      As a last test I will try using my old Speedtouch 716 router and see if that remains stable on ADSL2+.
      I guess I may have to accept that I have a noisy line.
      As I don't really need the unlimited part of the Max package, I assume that I can get Sky to switch me back to the Mid Package?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast