Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can't connect to Uswitch.com during the day !

This is a discussion on Can't connect to Uswitch.com during the day ! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes I've just tried Uswitch at 1220 pm and it worked instantly first time ! I still haven't had any ...

FrankM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wakefield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Can't connect to Uswitch.com during the day !

Yes I've just tried Uswitch at 1220 pm and it worked instantly first time ! I still haven't had any reply from Sky (apart from the instant automated one) as to why there was a problem- so I don't know whether that had any affect or how long this daytime access will last. Long may it last, and thanks to others who contributed to the discussion.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It was fixed yesterday apparently Frank, there is a post somewhere else on here from NewsreadeR about it.

davestormuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FrankM View Post
      Hi,

I'm relatively new to Sky broadband, I 've had Max for about 2 months and so far am delighted with the much improved speed compared with the Orange speed and service I just got rid of. This is my first post, and I am not into all the techno jargon commonly used in this forum, so please reply in easy to digest terms. So why am I posting ?
      The only niggle I have is that I found out that I could not access the Uswitch.com website using Sky broadband, and found out that others (non Sky customers) had no problem.

Yes I have done a lot of reading here and used the search facility on this site and am aware of a thread whereby you add to the list any sites which you cannot access. I am also aware that I am not alone, I have seen that others also have this problem, and I have added the site to the list in that thread, in case you need to know how many are reporting this, rather than just that this is a problem (which you obviously knew about).

I have also determined that the problem only happens between the daylight hours of 10am and 10 pm , and if I try to access overnight I am always successful. Not a major problem, but I have to know.

I am curious to know why this is, and if there is anything I can do about it.
      Does adding it to your list do any good ? Does somebody at Sky read about these access problems and take action ?

Regards, Frank
      I couldn't access it today either, I could only reach .co.uk addresses. Stopped me accessing my emails all day.

What annoys me is Microsoft.com, all the big .com addresses don't work, they seem to hang on hop 9 of a traceroot, I think it's whoever easynet connect to outside their network.

I rebooted my router about 5 times, got a new IP address every time, and the problem still persisted. Came back six hours later, same problem, rebooted router twice, looks like i got lucky got an IP which isn't blocked.

I'm seriously thinking of moving providers, I've had so many problems with sky it's getting stupid.

I've placed over 30 calls to tech support since I had sky, I had to call at 2am to get through to tier 3 who said I had a line bar or something.

I found out today some trees are touching my line down the bottom of my drive, I think the lines are shielded anyway so I doubt it's effecting anything, but I'm gonna eliminate anything which could cause a problem.

Seems odd even with trees touching my line I can access a .co.uk address at 300kb a second..but can't even reach a .com address.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I received a reply to my Kana form today,-
      Dear xxxxxxx
      Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.
      I am sorry to learn that you are unable to log into the Uswitch website, I have provided you with some information that will allow you to access this site :-

Sky recommend using Microsoft Internet Explorer to browse the internet. If you are using any other browser software please contact your software manufacturer for support.
      If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer and are having difficulty viewing a specific page, try the following steps:-
      • Open Internet Explorer; select Tools from the top menu, then Internet Options
      • A box will appear with various options in it, click Delete Cookies , and then select Yes
      • In the box next to this click on Delete files
      • Tick the box that says Delete All Offline Content
      • In the History tab click Clear History, then select Yes in the box that appears.
      If you are still unable to log in after this it may be that you have installed our Free McAfee software and this is preventing you from accessing this site due to your cookies not being accepted, please use the information I have provided to lower your browser settings -
      If there is a number then please follow the steps below:
      1. Open a new browser window
      2. Click on the Tools menu and select Internet Options.
      3. Then delete cookies, files and clear history
      4. Click on the Security tab and click on the internet and make sure the security level is set to medium
      5. Click on the Privacy tab and ensure that this is set to medium.
      6. Finally, click on the advanced tab and click on restore defaults
      7. Click Apply then Ok
      If you can now browse the websites it seems that your browser settings were too high.
      If you still cannot visit these websites and you are using the McAfee firewall then please follow the steps below:
      1. Right-click the McAfee icon M by your system clock.
      2. Click Privacy Service
      3. Click Manage Users
      4. The Privacy Service window appears. Click to highlight the name of the user whose setting you wish to change
      5. Click Edit
      6. Click the Cookies tab
      7. Select the desired option
      8. Click Apply
      9. Select Prompt users to accept cookies
      10. Click Edit
      11. Enter the addresses of the web sites from which you want to allow or deny cookies
      12. Click Add
      13. Once completed with entering all desired addresses, click Done
      14. If you still cannot visit these websites or are not using the McAfee Firewall, then please disable your firewall and anti-virus software
      15. If you can then access the sites it would appear the firewall is interfering with your browsing. Please contact your firewall manufacturer

If you need further help or information, please reply to this email or contact us on 08705 515 515.
      As part of Sky’ s commitment to continual improvement, please take a few moments to complete a short confidential questionnaire. This will provide us with feedback on the Technical Support we provide by email.
      Simply Click hereto start.

Kind regards
      Jason
      Sky Broadband Technical Support
      Sky
      Sky.com - Home

Information in this email including any attachments may be privileged, confidential and is intended exclusively for the addressee. The views expressed may not be official policy, but the personal views of the originator. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your system. You should not reproduce, distribute, store, retransmit, use or disclose its contents to anyone.
      Please note we reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communication through our internal and external networks.
      SKY and the SKY marks are trade marks of British Sky Broadcasting Group plc and are used under licence. British Sky Broadcasting Limited (Registration No. 2906991), Sky Interactive Limited (Registration No. 3554332), Sky-In-Home Service Limited (Registration No. 2067075) and Sky Subscribers Services Limited (Registration No. 2340150) are direct or indirect subsidiaries of British Sky Broadcasting Group plc (Registration No. 2247735). All of the companies mentioned in this paragraph are incorporated in England and Wales and share the same registered office at Grant Way , Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Enquiry:
      • I am having technical difficulties
      • Internet Browser
      • Internet Browser Issue
      I am unable to log on to uswitch.com, have tried IE7 and Firefox.
      Obviously no body told them it has been fixed and was nothing to do with my or anybody else's setting.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

They probably didn't even read you mail properly and just cut and pasted a standard reply that they have on file.

davestormuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Uswitch.com don't work currently along with loads of .com addresses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12