Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Working Sky BB!

This is a discussion on Working Sky BB! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, I'm now connected but it wasn't plain sailing by any means, this is what happened for me: Original connection ...

wakka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Morley, Leeds

Working Sky BB!

Ok, I'm now connected but it wasn't plain sailing by any means, this is what happened for me:

Original connection date was 31/08/06 but this slipped following a letter from Sky asking me to ring them as there was a 'problem'. They blamed BT and gave me a new date of 07/09/06.

On 06/09/06, my old ISP (Virgin) stopped working so i tried installing Sky but nothing happened. I decided to wait for the official activiation date.

Tried on 07/09/06 but still no joy, Rang Sky and they said i was connected but it could be after midnight before i'm activated fully.

Tried again on 08/09/06 - still no joy, so spent about about 3 hours on phone to various sky departments, none of who helped. Eventually, at about 9.30pm, i rang back and two (didn't believe them first time) American cust service reps told me all activiation dates on 07/09 & 08/09 had been put back 48 hours, they had just recieved a memo. Noticed that the router had no IP addresses in the ADSL status screen.

Waited until Sunday 10/09/06 and still no joy so rang Tech back again and they went through some tests but still no connection. Logged with Tier3 and promised a call back 'soon'.

11/09/06 - no connection and no callback. Emailed The Guardian newspaper's money team and also copied it to Sky customer services - no reply from either so far but also found this site. From there, checked with BT order tracker and saw something due on 12/09/06. Also found a free phone number for Sky 0800 0510317 .

12/09/06 - still no connection and no reply and no reply from my emails, so rang the '0800' number. I might be wrong here but this seems to put you througn to the same teams but this time, they were a lot more helpful. This makes me think that:
      a) Sky have had a rocket from above and reminded of good customer service practices, or,
      b) My emails have had some effect and my record is noted (they constantly referred to my 'notes').

Anyway, Tier 2 Tech tried a few new tests that i hadn't had before and when that didn't work, promised to ring back. Which they did this time. Now i had IP addresses where they should be and the router seemed to set correctly. Still no web connection, so they went through a few more tests. When this failed, they promised to ring back again but suggested i keep trying. After playing around a bit, i entered the numerical address (the router can find these) of Google and it connected! Decided to ring Sky back (0800 number)and tell them this. Tech went through some more new tests and then passed me to Tech Tier 2. This time, the gut went through all sorts of stuff with me and obviously knew what he was talking about. He could connect me apart from the number addresses but put me on hold for Tech Tier 3. I had been on hold (he kept coming back and apologising/ offering call backs) for about 25mins when i decided to re-boot my PC & Router - Magic - now connected, all web sites loading, much faster. Thanked the bloke and hung up.

To sum up - i don't really know what happened to fix me but coincidentally(?) BT order tracker showed some work due to be completed on 12/09/09 - Did Sky speed this up or did BT complete their action at the same time I rang Sky? Or did my email to customer services have something to do with it?

Anyway i'm connected and all seems well. I would suggest trying the 0800 0510317 if you need to ring - it's either a different team or they've been given a kick up the ****, either way you win because it's free.

Hope this helps someone, This site certainly gave me some ideas.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Well I am very please to see you got yourself connected now, after all the problems you have I hope it now goes all smoothly for you

Good luck.

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here