Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transferring from TalkTalk via BT

This is a discussion on Transferring from TalkTalk via BT within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but looked and couldn't find it. I ordered the triple package of ...

stulloyd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunnington
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Transferring from TalkTalk via BT

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but looked and couldn't find it.
      I ordered the triple package of TV, broadband and 'phone. I got the dish and Sky+ box which works fine, then got a letter from SKY saying that due to unforeseen problems, they were unable to do the 'phone and broadband bit.
      I 'phoned talktalk, who currently supply me, who told me that SKY could only take over broadband and phone if i first left talktalk, went back to BT first to get a BT line (?) and then applied again for SKY.
      Has anyone had similar problems with TalkTalk and any way of doing this simply.
      By the way, talk talk made it very difficult to get my MAC code and were very critical of Sky and tried to persuade me not to change.

2. Advertisement
      jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Transferring from TalkTalk via BT

Did Sky explain what the circumstances were and offer you a solution?

I left Wanadoo/Orange for Sky Max and while they provided my MAC without hassle, the woman was practically begging me to stay and offered me a phone contract to get BB free.

Hmmm 16mb vs 2mb. It was a no-brainer really.

Hope you get it sorted though!
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."

stulloyd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunnington
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's something to do with me paying for my 'phone line through Talktalk at present, and having to transfer back to BT before I can move to Sky. I don't understand how I can do that, particularly if there is some form of minimum contract I would have to enter into with BT - it seems very long winded>

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

its in T&C's for Sky's service that you have to have a line you pay line rental to BT - meaning you can't be on TalkTalk/Tiscali etc...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

g3az66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Milton Lee
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just changed from TalkTalk to Sky......

You need to ring BT first so that they can take over your telephone line.... takes about 14 days. You will get a letter from TalkTalk saying that BT are taking over the line and do you agree with it.

Then ring Sky to order their phone package..... Takes about 10 days

When you get a date from BT for the switch you will then have to contact TalkTalk for the MAC Code, be persistent with them and they have to give it to you... Give this code to Sky then they will conect you to their broadband service.... Takes about 14 days.....

Your TalkTalk broadband will still work on the BT line til Sky take the service over....

What I dont understand is how you have Sky+ with a non BT phone line!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

How about THIS then.

@ IAmNotTheEnemy
      its in T&C's for Sky's service that you have to have a line you pay line rental to BT
      The T & Cs do not state this, I think you were asked before where you had found it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

well, ok it's on the small print for the adverts (it says BT line required)

might not be clear as to that you have to pay rental to them tho...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I think we have had this discussion before. I read that as you have to have an actual BT phone line but can pay your line rental to who ever you want. Surely Sky can't dictate who you have to pay the line rental to ?

Actually thinking about it, my brother is on Sky and I am pretty sure he does not pay line rental to them, I'll have to ask him next time I speak to him.

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      I think we have had this discussion before. I read that as you have to have an actual BT phone line but can pay your line rental to who ever you want. Surely Sky can't dictate who you have to pay the line rental to ?

Actually thinking about it, my brother is on Sky and I am pretty sure he does not pay line rental to them, I'll have to ask him next time I speak to him.
      Its causes a hell of a lot of provisioning problems... there are so many people who order with Sky BB, then its gets rejected because the line is with Talk Talk etc...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This is something that should be sorted out and the relevants Conditions changed at the moment they read-
      (e) In order to use Sky Broadband: (i) your computer must meet the required specification given from time to time via Sky Broadband - Broadband internet offers & broadband packages in the UK and (ii) the telephone line you use to access Sky Broadband must be a BT compatible fixed and operational line to your Address (“your Line”).
      This in no way implies that you must pay rent to BT. If there are problems with this, then Sky should sort them out. If TT are being obstructive, Sky should be appealing to Ofcom to have obstruction removed. If TT are not to blame, Sky should be providing proper instruction and training to their provisioning department, so that the 'hell of a lot of provisioning problems...' can be overcome. As has been mentioned, Sky cannot dictate who someone pays their line rental to, for one thing this would probably be illegal as it encourages anti-competitiveness and would be frowned on by Ofcom.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast