Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Slow Broadband Speed --Advice Needed--

This is a discussion on Slow Broadband Speed --Advice Needed-- within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just realised that i am going out on a trip for the weekend.. So now i wont be ...

adem-101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMWSBCH (Wisbech Cambridgeshire)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Broadband Speed --Advice Needed--

I have just realised that i am going out on a trip for the weekend..

So now i wont be able to use the test line until monday!

The thread will probably be dead by then! :

hmmm!

Anyways help will be appreciated none the less.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You both have high CRC errors which may well be the problem, rule of thumb they shouldn't exceed 0.1% of the SF figure. So yep you both need to try the test socket.

ElectroTech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LORDS
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Talking Re: Slow Broadband Speed --Advice Needed--

THE ANSWER _ THE ONLY ANSWER YOU WILL EVER NEED FOR ADSL2

I have spent August 2007 trying to find this answer to slow & intermitent connections to SKY BB. I relocated my computer with router from my back room (16Mbps speed) to my front room (master BT point - dropped to 8Mbps), that was when my problems began.

I reconfigured my internal BT wiring to have a BT master socket in my front room - installed 100% correctly but had line errors???
      NOTE: ADSL requires your BT wiring to run from socket to socket - no branches or star point connections.

I replaced my low quality master BT socket with a high quality module assembly - no difference made!!

SKY technical support - waste of phone calls....

ANTENNA - is the key
      Only run the ADSL up to the point of where your router is plugged in. Every point & including the router point must have the correct ADSL filter plugged in where equipment is to be used. You can then use all downstream BT points as phone line only without filters.
      IF YOU DON'T have your wiring set up this way, the downstream internal wiring from the connection of the router will pick up line errors

AVOID ADSL DRIFT FROM YOUR OWN WIRING.

ULTIMATE SOLUTION
      1. Buy a ADSL split master BT point with internal filter & plug your router/modem in that point - wired correctly you only have ADSL at that point.

OTHER SOLUTION
      1. Remove extension wiring from BT master socket.
      2. Connect a BT plug to your extension wiring; plug the ADSL filter in to the master socket; plug the BT plug in to the filter.
      3. Result: All internal extensions are phone line only. High speed ADSL is acheived at master BT socket.

IN ALL SOLUTIONS GET SKY "TIER 3 SUPPORT" TO ASSIST YOU IN OPTIMISING THE BT LINE - ONCE YOU FIX YOUR OWN WIRING.

ALSO,

1. Optimise your computer networking connections to the internet.
      2. Check cable & connections are sound.
      3. Lights not on - wake-up then.
      4. ADSL line is activated.

Originally I had 16Mbps connection speed at 45m from the BT master point at the entry point to my flat. Only by moving the computer & router to the master point, I found that I created an antenna for ADSL drift.
      EXCHANGE TO ROUTER DIRECT WITH AS FEW CONNECTIONS AS POSSIBLE ENABLES THE BEST POSSIBLE CONNECTION.
      LINE ERRORS MASSACRE DATA TRANSFER SPEED.

ElectroTech 2007

adem-101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMWSBCH (Wisbech Cambridgeshire)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for such great feedback guys!

Great forum,

Ill be following all these steps ASAP!

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Electrotech,

Great bit of advice that!! Nice Job!! May I add 1 extra point about cabling

If you are going to be fiting any extensions for ADSL or for a Phone, It's worth the extra expense of getting some cat5e UTP of FTP cable to wire the sockets up too. The standard phone line wire is cat3 & is not as good at transfering signal data so you get more errors. Also, because of the design of Cat 5e cable, It is much better at suppressing noise on the line.

If you line must pass withing a few inches of any mains power cables the I'd buy Cat5e FTP (Foiled Twisted Pair) as the wires are protected fro EMI by a foil layer under the cable skin.

If not, cat5e UTP (Unfoiled Twisted Pair) will do fine & will work better than the standard cat3 stuff

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hmmm, I'm not entirely convinced of the benefit of using a grossly over-specified length of cable for the last 10 metres when BT are using cables which are equivalent to cat3 spec for the the first bit of the connection which may be as much as 500 times longer.

And while shielded twisted-pair cables have extra protection against induced interference, over and above the protection afforded by the twisted-pair arrangement itself, it's only really of value for near-by sources of interference.

The real enemy of ADSL is medium-wave radio interference, and the key is to avoid anything that might act as a medium-wave radio antenna. Such as the ring wire, for example, which because it's an open circuit (microfilters make no connection to it), it's just sitting there doing nothing other than picking up Five Live during the day and the Voice of Russia at night.

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Hi James,

Perhaps you are right, but I came to this conclusion as a result of noting my detailed router stats at the master test point & then noting them at the access point I actually use for my router (which I'd say is about 10 - 12 meters long).

I got a better SNR at my router access point than I got at the test socket which leads me to conclude that the FTP & UTP construction can actually help to reduce noise on the line, even if it is only a very small part of the line back to the exchange.

I was only trying to perhaps aid users who have issues with noise. It's not like Cat5e is that expensive & accoring to a mate who works for BT, If an engineer goes out to do a BB instal, And he had to fit an extension, He would now use Cat5e cable not Cat3.

There is no doubt in my mind however, that you know what you are talking about, much more than me anyway!!
      Last edited by Miracle_Boy66; 12-10-07 at 05:13 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12