Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Would love to but!

This is a discussion on Would love to but! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, excellent forum. I have spent hours reading and have just joined. I would love to join Sky Broadband, ...

wedgehog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Would love to but!

Hi everyone, excellent forum. I have spent hours reading and have just joined.

I would love to join Sky Broadband, I am a Sky TV customer, but the problem is that I have been a few years with my present Broadband provider and I have a 2 meg service, I always have a connection speed of between 1.8 to 2.08 and yet when I do the speed check on the sky Broadband site it says I can only have 256k on my line? I had several Sky personnel phone me to try and persuade me to come over to sky Broadband when they first set it up and I always said I would love to but I can't risk losing my 2meg service for a 256K one, they didn't appear to be interested in trying to do anything for me and despite my telling them I have had a 2 meg connection for over three years with my current provider, they didn't seem to believe me??

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Would love to but!

Speed predictors are pretty useless. If you're getting 2meg at the moment you'll get a minimum of that with Sky. It will be using the same phone line.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Speed predictors are pretty useless. If you're getting 2meg at the moment you'll get a minimum of that with Sky. It will be using the same phone line.
      Hi, But if they say the line is tested at 256K won't they cap it at that? so even though I know it can handle 2meg I won't get it

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

No that's not how it works.

For Sky LLU (Base, Mid, Max):

Capping is done in relation to line length and line errors. For the former this means long lines get G.DMT capped at 8096kbps. For the latter it's variable depending on the line error severity.

Your line is currently supporting 2meg and you won't be capped that low unless you have severe line problems. Even then in 90%+ of cases this can be fixed and the cap lifted.

For Connect:

There is no capping as the exchange rate adapts to line conditions.

If you don't want to risk it then that's your choice but in my opinion the risk is negligible. The lowest risk would be a Sky LLU product - I'd be slightly more wary with Connect.
      Last edited by Saturday; 24-08-07 at 11:28 AM.

big bob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAR
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I was in a similair situation to you getting between 1.7 and 2.3 mbps with my previous provider even though my line tested as being capable of 512kbps.

I took the plunge and went on sky's mid package. It's the best thing i ever did. I am now getting 3.3mbps all the time.

Fantastic value at 5 saving me 20 a month.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You can try this if you like, go to Kitz's modem stat checker, most modems/routers are covered. Get the stats for your modem/router, and enter them in THIS page. This is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate, but it will give you a good idea. When/if you try it, plug your router/filter direct into the TEST socket, which is behind the faceplate of your Master socket. This will isolate your test from your internal wiring and may give a truer result.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all the info Saturday. I have to say I am a bit confused by the sky site and the packages on offer because they all appear to include TV as well, but I already have Sky TV, so I only want the phone and broadband? and do I have to pay this set up fee if I come over with a mac code?

Thanks Big Bob, I hope that happens to me.

Thanks Isitme, I will go try the link, but my BT socket is the old type with no test socket, but I have no extensions or other sockets in the house anyway, the landline phones are cordless, so the Broadband is plugged into the only socket direct on the BT cable, but I live several miles from the exchange! I have tried a few sites for these sort of tests and had lots of different results, ADSL says 500K the best one appears to be for ADSL2+ which says about the same as Big Bobs just over three meg, but from reading the forum it seems getting on ADSL2+ is a bit of a lottery.
      Last edited by wedgehog; 24-08-07 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added more info

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Thanks for that mate, yes this is the tools that give me 500K ADSL and 3Meg ADSL2+ but I don't think it's the customers choice to go on ADSL2+ Please please tell me I am wrong!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well if it is the exchange checker you have tried at 512k, then mine says 2-3.5mb and I get nearly 7mb.

The info we use on the exchange checker is based on historical data from BT so is historically out of date.

The ADSL2 Checker is actual data collated more recent.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast