Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Would love to but!

This is a discussion on Would love to but! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks NewsreadeR, so just to be totally clear, are you all saying that irrespective of what the tests say, if ...

wedgehog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Would love to but!

Thanks NewsreadeR, so just to be totally clear, are you all saying that irrespective of what the tests say, if I come over to Sky and get the Max Broadband (I want unlimited) The speed I get will be the speed the Router modem decides is best based on all the factors of noise and attenuation and not what some test or Sky techie says my line can handle?

The only thing I am worried about from reading other posts is that if I end up with a slow speed but know it would be a lot faster on ADSL2+ it seems to be a problem to get Sky to allow you to connect using that?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thanks NewsreadeR, so just to be totally clear,
      The checker here: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tools/exchangechecker.php

Then that is historical data, drawn from Samknows and so cannot be 100% accurate as I think BT give SAM the data.

Whatever speed you get now, you should at least get the same speed as now. You may even get better

The speed I get will be the speed the Router modem decides is best based on all the factors of noise and attenuation and not what some test or Sky techie says my line can handle?
      That pretty much sums it up yes.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I end up with a slow speed but know it would be a lot faster on ADSL2+
      Not the case if you can only get below 8mb, I have tried GDMT and ADSL2 and ADSL2+ and did not benefit at all. I am on approx 7mb at the moment.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh Ok, thanks NewsreadeR. I was using an old Dlink router modem on my current BB and I was getting 1.2 to 1.6 meg constantly. I recently bought a ADSL2+ router modem and now I constantly get 2 to 2.3 meg, but I have to say I don't know if it is because it has connected at ADSL2+, or if it's just because it's a newer better modem. How do you tell?
      Well so far it sounds to me like it would be safe to come over to Sky, but I will wait until I see you telling us all that Sky are now issuing that new router

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are 'miles from the exchange', as you say, you will not get ADSL2+. Your line would just not support it well enough to be anything like stable. There are very few who are able to get ADSL2+ speeds, like 16 Mbs, I don't know the exact figure*, but I am fairly sure it will be confined to the top 5% or so, who live within a mile of the exchange. I must stress that this applies to all ISPs, not just Sky.

Unless you are sure you need unlimited bandwidth, I would advise going for Mid. This has a 40Gb limit, which unless you are going to download a lot of high quality video, is quite a lot. If you find you need more, you can always upgrade.

If you go to Sky.com - Home and follow the link to UPGRADE, on the right, you will find details on how to get Broadband if you already have Sky TV. I am not sure but I think I only paid 1/2 the set up fee when I joined with a MAC.

*@ NR Would it be a good idea to have a poll on package, mode, distance from the exchange, attenuation, speed etc., ? It would give an idea of how many are actually getting the top speeds

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

but I will wait until I see you telling us all that Sky are now issuing that new router
      Could be months away yet.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

*@ NR Would it be a good idea to have a poll on package, mode, distance from the exchange, attenuation, speed etc., ? It would give an idea of how many are actually getting the top speeds
      We are actually trying to build this into our ADSL2 checker at the moment, it will only record those on a Sky IP so we will have very accurate data to graph.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you Isitme. Yes I am a few miles away in a village outside of Rugby, line att is 63.5. My speed improvement with my current BB must have just been because the old Modem Router was crap then! I will go have a look at the link you gave me. Thanks again. Wedge

Yup that's the place thank you, they still want the 30 set up fee though despite the fact I am allready on BB and I have to get the Mac code. Still, I suppose the "Free" Router has to be paid for!
      Last edited by wedgehog; 24-08-07 at 10:48 PM. Reason: added more

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Could be months away yet.
      Hmmmm thanks NewsreadeR, do we have any idea what's going to happen when it is available? Surely they won't send one out to everyone, the cost would be too great. I am guessing they will go to new customers and present customers who's modem Routers have errrrrr gone faulty!!

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Common sense says to me that they will discontinue the V1 (white) router and start sending out the V2 one. I wonder how many faulty V1's are reported?

Rumour has it the new firmware for the V1 sorts out a lot of problems and makes it so much more stable / useable

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast