Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Speed/Stabilty Problem

This is a discussion on Speed/Stabilty Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello Everyone, Great site you have here. I have been activated since Friday and was very pleased to begin with ...

Jonah is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed/Stabilty Problem

Hello Everyone,

Great site you have here. I have been activated since Friday and was very pleased to begin with but from Monday onwards my connection slows down to a dial up type speed every night (Usually from 19:00ish but at work during the day so could possibly happen then too)

A reboot of the router usually clears it and returns it to normal for a while but then slows to a crawl again, even loading web pages takes ages. Is anyone else having these problems? Im not sure if I should leave it a while to see if it settles before calling Sky.

My line stats are:
      15323 kbps Down 766 kbps Up
      26.0 db Down 13.8 db Up
      9.2 db Noise Margin down 13.0 db Up

I'm very pleased with the speed when it works but is very frustrating when it doesn't. Could it be a router problem or more likely something with my line?

2. Advertisement
      No Strings is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      This is excatly the same problem I'm having, last night I was online from 6pm until 10pm with no problems at all getting download speeds of 1.25mbs. Left my router on all night and this mornig I was getting 0.1mb download speeds. Rebooted the router and back up to 1.25mbs. As I have mentioned in a previous thread I have the same problem on my desktop and laptop so the problem is must be with sky's service or the router. Going to give them a ring this evening and try and get it sorted!

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Jonah

As No Strings has said there seem to be a few people reporting this problem and I am not sure anyone has found the answer as there could be any number of things responsible maybe the router, line condition or even some external interference as you have said it happens around 19:00 ish.

So I would suggest that you also give SkyBB Tech Support a call as they may well have an answer now..

Good luck and I hope that anyone with this problem gets it sorted.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      I was having the same problem until yesterday when I moved the router away from the cordless phone.
      I moved it to a completely different phone socket in a different area of the house and so far stability has been fine when it used to get very slow every hour or so.
      I don't really see how the phone could cause those problems, but either way for me the problem seems to be sorted. I just hope it stays that way.

Give it a try and tell us if it works for you.

G

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Cordless phones are known to cause interference to ADSL on some occaisions as are many other things... I even saw on another Forum that a neighbours treadmill was causing problems!

Thanks for the information, it might help someone.

brucemac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Shields
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I have been having the same problem and been moved from 14.5mb to 12 to 10mb then to 5mb and now i am sitting at 1mb to see how it handles, i will then change the location and increase the speed and then see what happens

No Strings is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      My router is right next to my cordless phone so that could be the problem, I will try moving it tonight and see what happens. Fingers crossed!!!

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      i'm really not convinced that all these problems are due to bad environment, bad wiring etc etc.

i have these problems and i KNOW it is the router that is causing them. i hope i am wrong as i've ordered a replacement. but the number of posts i see here so similar to my own problems that i fear any replacement may be just as bad. it comes soon so i will give more details when i get it.

OhNoes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sidcup (LSSID)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Someone who has flashed their router and found their user/pass should try connecting with another router and seeing if they have the same problems. If it doesn't happen with different hardware, we'll know that it's Skys router at fault for sure, then hopefully a solution can be found.

desi9er is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hainault
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down My explorer keeps losing connection even when its on

I got SKYBB a week ago, connected ok, I switched from TISCALI (I never had any problems).

I get 6mbps or should i say upto (I'm on Sky MAX), no complaints there as i knew this would be speed beforehand.

PROBLEMS

1. Sky Support is non existant, I'm an IT guy and they haven't a clue
      2. No manual or login etc was given for the router

3.Every morning (<9am to 12am/1pm) their POP server is up and down, generally down !!!

4.Also I lose connection (mornings is crap), I'm using IE6 updated with Sky Software, on a site then doesn't work BUT say a download outside of IE still works ???

to resolve I upplug router, reset router, reset LAN connection settings, reboot IE, all these things to get IE's connection working with the router

Why is this, is this a problem with the communication between IE6 and the Sky Router ???

Anyone else experience this kinda loss of connection in IE ??

Resolutions ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast