Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Speed/Stabilty Problem

This is a discussion on Speed/Stabilty Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Welcome to the site desi9er Thats a new one (IE) not seen that problem reported on here before as for ...

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site desi9er

Thats a new one (IE) not seen that problem reported on here before as for there mail servers thats been a common problem for a while one day they will get that right as for your other comments I got all the docs with the router and as for support had no real need to call them and when I have they have been fine mind only spoken to them once.

I hope you get to the bottom of this problem with IE.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

2. Advertisement
      kenswan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      mine too, i was supposed to be activated last week it came on on friday it started at 9700 went to 8100 and last nite was 404 today is 409 called sky millions of times they cannot help eventually wrote recorded delivery asking for my mac number so i can go back to my old isp that worked for 7 years without a hitch, same old story you only get what you pay for , but thanks to some of the guys at sky who at least tried to help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
      Hello Everyone,

Great site you have here. I have been activated since Friday and was very pleased to begin with but from Monday onwards my connection slows down to a dial up type speed every night (Usually from 19:00ish but at work during the day so could possibly happen then too)

A reboot of the router usually clears it and returns it to normal for a while but then slows to a crawl again, even loading web pages takes ages. Is anyone else having these problems? Im not sure if I should leave it a while to see if it settles before calling Sky.

My line stats are:
      15323 kbps Down 766 kbps Up
      26.0 db Down 13.8 db Up
      9.2 db Noise Margin down 13.0 db Up

I'm very pleased with the speed when it works but is very frustrating when it doesn't. Could it be a router problem or more likely something with my line?

desi9er is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hainault
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Wheelie

I have two PCs with same problem, I can only guess people think the line is down at times but actually its a problem between IE and the Sky Router, as i said downloads through other software keep running/downloading while i have no access to web in IE..

Me thinks maybe its a bug in the Sky update of IE which installs over current IE .dll's ..have to wait and see i guess if it resolves, I going to try what ever I can. (One PC is brand spanking new so??)

To people out there check if this is the case for u, say like using DAP downloading something and no web access in IE but download is still going strong...?

Jonah is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, we do have cordless phones but nowhere near the router. Am going to try moving it to another socket just in case to see what happens.....

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      RE: Me thinks maybe its a bug in the Sky update of IE which installs over current IE .dll's ..have to wait and see i guess if it resolves, I going to try what ever I can. (One PC is brand spanking new so??)

Don't think so - i never updated my IE and i get that problem. But then again i know what my problem is

As far as sky changing microsofts dll's that would not happen - all sky has done is to supply IE with their own configuration - they would not have changed the software itself - it is illegal for one thing.
      Last edited by dingdong; 14-09-06 at 09:26 AM.

stevem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCHES
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Was switched over on the posted date yesterday from eclipse. Started well enough , router sync'ed up at 15Mb , I figured out the networking as my wireless card doesn't like dhcp , all good ...

Last night, however was appalling. Pages would start to download, then stall for minutes at a time. I thought it was the name servers , swapped to some 'known' stable ones ( colt internet's ) , no joy ...

traceroutes looked reasonable , no massive hop numbers or odd routes.

Ran some pings and found that I was dropping anything between 16 - 25% of all packets to a selection of uk based websites using ping -n 100 <address>

Is this the same instability everyone else sees ( before I engage rant mode ) ?

Nothing to do with the 'update' to IE, all it adds is branding and changes your homepage ....

Steve

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Steve

Sorry to see you join the problem club mate, I really wish we could find the answers to these problems.

Good luck and hope you and everyone else who is having trouble get it sorted sooner rather than later.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

stevem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCHES
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Thanks Ray,

I'll run some more tests tonight & see if I can isolate the offending kit.

Steve

KeefeFox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Cheam
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I am on Sky Max and since I received my router, on 9th Sept, my download speeds as measured using speedtest.net, have peaked at around 8 meg, and then on Tuesday went down to 49k.

After chatting to their tier 3 support, they have capped me at just under 14,000 kbps down rather than the 15,323 kbps.

My connection seems reasonably stable now at between 7 and 8 meg, so hopefully I'm almost there.

Not the 15/16 meg that I was expecting, but faster than my 1 meg connection.

I am 600m from my exchange as the crows flies and these speeds have been measured using a wired connection.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi KeefeFox
      Thats a good bit of news as you are so close to the exchange its a real shame about the speed but maybe your line does the grand tour of your area before it gets to you.

One thing both you and Steve could try is connecting to the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket it could help, and I would also replace the dingily dangily filters with filtered faceplate's.

For more info on how to do this check out Kitz great site and for faceplate's look here Adsl Nation

Good luck

PS Stupid question I know but do you have filters on all you phone points in use?
      Ray

click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast