Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

3 weeks and counting...still no Sky BB

This is a discussion on 3 weeks and counting...still no Sky BB within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Really sorry to see this is still dragging out mate, I really wish SkyBB would sort out this router problem ...

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Really sorry to see this is still dragging out mate, I really wish SkyBB would sort out this router problem and failing that at least issue a temp username and password so anyone who has a live connection with them can at least use the service until the SkyBB router appears.

I think it would be easy for them to setup something like that and to have the temp access expire after say 2 or 3 weeks.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

2. Advertisement
      boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Well my router turned up this morning just after 10am, yes i thought I can finally get going and no longer have to endure my daily call to Sky BB.

How wrong could I be, the router is faulty. There is absolutly no activity on the Internet port. When I switch everything on the i light does not illuminate and the router states it is negiotiating a connection. I leave it for about 20 minutes and nothing. Plug my existing Netgear DG834G back in and the i light illuminates. So I deduce a router fault.

I rebooted and reset the router as well to no avail. I testes directly on the master test jack with a filter and still the same and my known good router works fine.

I managed to extract the username and password of the router from help elsewhere but I am still using dialup at present.

I contacted tech Support who answered within 30 secs, shame Cust Services can't do the same. Took me through all the troubleshooting steps I had done already and passed me through to Teir 2 support. The guy wanted to do a BT test but needed the line to be clear, he said he would call back in 10 minutes, needless to say he didn't.

After 30 minutes of waiting I called back but the Teir 1 agent this time agreed to pass me through and then came back stating she has do all the troubleshooting steps again as the previous Teir 1 agent hasn't recoreded a case against this. Anyway she attempted to pass to teir 2 but came back stating they will replace the box. Great I ask, how long, she replies up to 5 days. So here we go again.......

She asked that when I get the router to hook it up and test and if all Ok to call back when they will look at more compensation since I have been having so much hassle with this.

I asked the agent that if I were able to extract the username/password from the Sky box could I input these on my own box as a temp measure, she advised best not to do so.

I am left wondering whether to abide by their request or to ignore. Does Sky BB create an account based on the router, if so then I guess I wouldn't be able to log in using my existing router?

Hopefully I'll get the router with a day or so as it was ordered this morning.

Thanks

Well it's Day 3 of 5 of the awaiting replacement router process, no sign of it as yet. Contacted SKY they can see the router was ordered on the 3rd but there is no consignment number as yet. She said that may happen today and the router could be with me by Saturday or Monday at the outside, known my luck in this process it will be Monday.

Still using Dialup even though I have the necessary details from my failed router. I don't think I should use them in case it messes with anything. Still got my old router attached which is syncing to the exchange, stable sync speed for my long line seems to 2272 down and 448 up. I would like to see if I get near 2 MB transfer speeds.

There is nothing I can do about the length of my line but is there anyway I can convince BT to see if there is anything to done about looking at the Noise margin. I previously had a cross line about 6 months ago and before that my line stats on 1 MB line where around 58-58 attenuation and arouns 21db for noise margin. After the cross line was fixed the attenutaion went to 60 and noise margin dropped to around the 15 to 17 mark.

Will keep you updated.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well I agree about not using the old router details and I hope the new one shows up a lot sooner than Monday for you

Fingers crossed
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Thanks

Finally I am up and running. New router arrived this morning but they didn't want to take the old one away. This router was sealed unlike the previous one, ummm.

Router sync's a lot faster than my DG834G and syncd at 2752 with an Attenuation of 63.5 and SNR of 5.9. Speed tests have shown a just under 2MBps speed which is good enough for me. I shall wait and see what kind of speeds I'll get at night.

Once plugged in the router although sync'd would not allow me to surf but after 10 minutes or so the router signed on and I am happily surfing.

Will contact Sky to advise service is running and as previously discussed with them more compensation.

On checking my bank account I notice the 10 credit I got on my sky account doesn't seem to have any effect on my Sky monthly bill as it remained the same. Need to get that checked too.

I'll do some reading on router tweaks etc now, thanks for all help and support provided.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Now that news has made my day.

I am very please to see you are finally connected and are happy with it.
      Ray

click here

Thanks

Ok, now I am sad.

The sync of the router went down at 2pm this afternoon to approx 1300 but still acheieving over 1MBps throughput.

Now that we are in the dreaded night period the sync has dropped to 1184 but throughput is now sub half meg.

I am at a loss here as my previous solid 1MB service always gave me just under 1 Meg throughput irrespective of time of day.

I have tweaked the connection to no avail, I can only now try messing with the MTU to see if that helps any.

Surely I should still be seeing 1 Meg throughput as indicated on another dsl site, dslzoneuk BT have set the following throughput limits on MaxDSL services, obviously this won't include folks on LLU. The limits are as follows:

SYNC rate Data rate
      288 - 575 250 Kbps
      576 - 1151 500 Kbps
      1152 - 1727 1.0 Mbps
      1728 - 2271 1.5 Mbps
      2272 - 2847 2 Mbps
      2848 - 3423 2.5 Mbps
      3424 - 3999 3.0 Mbps
      4000 - 4543 3.5 Mbps
      4544 - 5119 4.0 Mbps
      5120 - 5695 4.5 Mbps
      5696 - 6239 5.0 Mbps
      6240 - 6815 5.5 Mbps
      6816 - 7391 6.0 Mbps
      7392 - 7967 6.5 Mbps
      7968 - 8127 7.0 Mbps
      8128 7.15 Mbps

I underatand the reasons for SNR etc to drop but not throughput, like I said on my stable 1MB connection I always got close to that, now speed tests reveal speeds of approx 400KBPS akin to sub 0.5MBps BB services, not what I am paying for.

I hate to say it but I'm moaning again, god I wish I was happy for a change.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234