Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

cancelling your contract before the 12 months

This is a discussion on cancelling your contract before the 12 months within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The security key that sky gave me is not being accepted. My laptop says that it is incorrect. I spent ...

mattbradbury is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cancelling your contract before the 12 months

The security key that sky gave me is not being accepted. My laptop says that it is incorrect. I spent 3 hours on the phone to the technical helpline and was told that sky broadband isn't compatible with Windows Vista (hahaha) and also that my laptop musn't be wirless enabled - it most certainly is - it was detecting the blinking router, and all the others in my street! I was evtually told after 3 hours of phone calls that they could not help me. Am I right in thinking they are in breach of contract - because I spent considerable time trying to rectify the problem? Also, if this is proved to be the case - does that entitle me to get out of the sky digital contract as well (I had previously been a customer of this for 6 years previous). This has been going on now for 2 and a half months.

Thanks in advance.

Stressed of Stockport.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: cancelling your contract before the 12 months

It doe's work my brother use's it, they are talking rubbish as usual. Check out this thread Vista Wireless and Sky Netgear Router AGONY! there are various other threads on the forum, do a search for "Vista" search in thread titles only.

Guesswot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWNABB
      Broadband ISP: Be & 3 mobile
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD, FreeSat
      Thanks

For info. Using Vista on computer and laptop, no problems at all with recognition of router or connection. No problems either with visitors iPAQ, laptop or apple laptop.
      Last edited by Guesswot; 22-08-07 at 12:31 PM.
      "the moving finger, having writ, moved on"

slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why dont you log into the router by cable and temporarily disable the security or simply confirm the code is correct.
      It sounds like something settings wise if you can see the router but not connect.
      BTW when they say it isnt compatible they most likely mean they dont support it.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No - they definitely meant that Vista didn't work with sky. I know that because they also told me that all laptops need a wirleless adapter regardless of whether they are wirelessly enable or not. One of them did try and get me to change the security settings on netgear, halfway through he told me to plug the ethernet cable in, I asked him how on earth he though I had been following his instructions for the last five minutes - anyway - it didn't work. I was 20 minutes into one call when I realised they thought I was trying to network a laptop up to a PC - why the hell would I be ringing them in the if that's what I was trying to do?

The problem with Sky is that their "technical helpline" is manned by customer services people - with about as much technical knowledge as me!

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Now, this is something that has confused a lot of people since Vista was released.

I myself have had problems with Wireless on Vista. I used to connect, then all of a sudden, I couldnt get on wirelessly. So many people had this problem, and it wasnt all with Sky Routers, as Im not with Sky, but still had the problem. So I was convinced it was an issue with Vista, though Microsoft wouldnt admit it.

Low and Behold, about 2 weeks ago, Microsoft released two major updates to Vista. In one of them, it fixed a bug with the DNS system. i installed the update, and YAY!!!! I could go wireless again.

The problem is with Vista itself, and nothing to do with your Sky. The bug was when you put your computer into hibernate, it killed your DNS. Nothing to do with your ISP.

Besides, Sky can only provide full support for their own wireless adapter. Im surprised you were on the phone for 3 hours, as technically, if any adviser was to go beyond the basic troubleshooting for a built in wireless adapter, they could get fired.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That may explain why they kept passing me on. The fact that my neighbour allowed me to (successfully) access her wirless router sort of goes against your theory.

terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattbradbury View Post
      That may explain why they kept passing me on. The fact that my neighbour allowed me to (successfully) access her wirless router sort of goes against your theory.
      In which could be the problem...

You mentioned you could see a few other wireless networks in your area. If there is suddenly a new one it could well be interfering with yours.

It's best to keep wireless networks at least 4 channels apart (if cisco best practice is followed).

Also any new Dect phones, baby monitors, or TV senders would also probably cause problems.

Try a different wireless channel on the netgear router or try the auto option.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

yet another reason to throw wireless in the bin and just go ethernet IMO, lol...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The security key that sky gave me is not being accepted.
      What Key is this? If it is the one one the router label, it should work. If it is another one you are trying, it will not work. Your best bet is to go into the router settings, wired, and change the Security Key to one of your own. This should be done anyway, for your own protection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast