Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

cancelling your contract before the 12 months

This is a discussion on cancelling your contract before the 12 months within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Koala5 What comes up on the screen if you type 192.168.0.1 in the address window on explorer? ...

mattbradbury is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: cancelling your contract before the 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      What comes up on the screen if you type 192.168.0.1 in the address window on explorer? then press return?
      It's been 2 months since I did this, so I could be wrong, but the only website I got on to (that sky told me to go on to) was netgears.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

OK click this link http://192.168.0.1

When the box comes up put in admin for the username and sky for the password.

Click Wireless settings on the left, make sure that Enable wireless point and broadcast ssid are ticked. For the time being only under Security options, select Disable.

Try to connect!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattbradbury View Post
      It's been 2 months since I did this, so I could be wrong, but the only website I got on to (that sky told me to go on to) was netgears.
      I have no doult that you can fix this problem with the help of this forum but it will require a bit of effort on your behalf, although I am getting the impression you just want out of your contract.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      I have no doult that you can fix this problem with the help of this forum but it will require a bit of effort on your behalf, although I am getting the impression you just want out of your contract.
      To be fair, yes I do. This has been going on for 2 and a half months and they haven't helped me one bit, even putting the phone down on me, when they asked me to go and check something.

Also, to be fair, I have only been made aware of this forum today, so it wouldn't have helped at the time.

I cancelled the DD a month ago, so think they have turned off the line anyway (see the technical wording there :-) ), but now they are saying I still owe them the years money.

Guess it will end up in court.

Thanks for you help anyway - believe me, I did "put in the effort" with the sky helpline. Pity they didn't.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So we have been wasting our time trying to help you

To answer one of your questions, I do not think Sky are in any way at fault or in breach of contract. One of the reasons they supply a router and sell a compatible wireless adapter, is so they can support them. They are not obliged to support 3rd party hardware. I don't think any ISP will. If you had come here sooner, you would no doubt have had your problem solved.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      So we have been wasting our time trying to help you

To answer one of your questions, I do not think Sky are in any way at fault or in breach of contract. One of the reasons they supply a router and sell a compatible wireless adapter, is so they can support them. They are not obliged to support 3rd party hardware. I don't think any ISP will. If you had come here sooner, you would no doubt have had your problem solved.

Well to be fair, if you'd have read the first post, you'll see I didn't actually ask for technical help. My laptop informs me that the key sky provided is wrong - therefore they needed to sort it, and even if it wasn't their responsibility, why didn't they tell me that in the hours of phone calls instead of just saying "I don't know what to do?!"?

BBC Watchdog have been informed anyway, and I shall be speaking to a solicitor if they want to start being arses.

Again, I probably would have come on here sooner if i'd have been aware of it.

terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattbradbury View Post
      BBC Watchdog have been informed anyway, and I shall be speaking to a solicitor if they want to start being arses.
      Well I don't expect you will get very far with either of those routes.

It sounds to me like sky have gone above and beyond what would be reasonably expected of them. By entertaining your calls about hardware which they will have no idea about.

I feel a little put out that I spent time giving advice (which seems to have been ignored anyway), when clearly it seems you wanted people to reply with, 'yep, its all skys fault'.
      Last edited by terrorvis; 23-08-07 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terrorvis View Post
      Well I don't expect you will get very far with either of those routes.

It sounds to me like sky have gone above and beyond what would be reasonably expected of them. By entertaining your calls about hardware which they will have no idea about.

I feel a little put out that I spent time giving advice (which seems to have been ignored anyway), when clearly it seems you wanted people to reply with, 'yep, its all skys fault'.
      Above and beyond?! Are you having a laugh? They didn't help one bit. They thought all laptops needed an adapter. Anyhooo I have just heard back from consumer rights and they say that sky are in breach but also that bu cancelling my DD i may also be. They advise me to re-establish the DD and then make the claim again and I should be ok. They seem to think this is a very common complaint. Nice one.

Oh, and thanks for everyone's help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123