Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Network problems

This is a discussion on Network problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Folks, I need some help on the following. Was previously for nearly 2 years, with another ISP (PlusNet); using ...

tandt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Network problems

Hi Folks,

I need some help on the following.

Was previously for nearly 2 years, with another ISP (PlusNet); using Router Netgear 814; connected by hardwire (Ethernet), to “four” Pc; ALL working fine. Joined Sky Broadband recently; had line activated last Sat.; installed the Sky Broadband CD and that PC has web connection. But other “three” DO NOT; even after using Sky CD on each PC

Checked and swooped around the Router Ports and also the cables but other PCs just complain, when Sky’s “IE” is launched displaying “this page can not be displayed”.
      Hence, one PC works fine and is live with Internet but NOT the other three.

I do not think there are any hardware problems. But strongly feel that the Internet Connection needs new configuration on each PC, but Sky Broadband Tech. Team has not been of much help. I being not that PC literate am wandering if any of you can help and advise to get the other “three” PCs to connect to the net.

Keep up the good work and the site is fabulous.

Thanks & Regards,
      tandt

2. Advertisement
      slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Network problems

Are the link lights on the router lit up?
      I would try running the internet connection wizard on each pc with a problem to start off.

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Did you also install the McAfee suite? I did, if so, you need to configure this on the first PC to accept the others. I know that should only apply to the workgroup, but I had a similar problem, and it wasn't until I resolved this that internet access was available. IIRC I looked on the McAfee web site for help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like your PCs are not set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'. To check this go to the Control Panel, open Network Connections, double click on your LAN connection and highlight 'Internet Protocol'. Click Properties and check that 'Obtain an IP address automatically' is selected. Also check that your firewalls are allowing access to 192.168.0.1, which is your router address.

Most members on the forum do not advise using the Sky disk unless they want to run the AV.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.