Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT are conning me!!!

This is a discussion on BT are conning me!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I am just about to move house. I am going from being 1.6 miles from the exchange to 700m ...

junpit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT are conning me!!!

Hi

I am just about to move house. I am going from being 1.6 miles from the exchange to 700m from the exchange and hence I'm expecting my broadband speed to increase from 5mbps to something close to 16 hopefully....

Anyway the house has a BT line and cable to the house. The seller has been on Virgin for about 5 years and when I rang BT they quoted me 125 for installing a BT line as they stated that it has never had service.

I have had no choice but to place this order in the hope of being able to do something about it later on. This is obviously rubbish. Theres even a BT socket in the house and the seller told me his old phone number which has been reused.

I am hoping that when the engineer rings me that he will verify that he doesn't need to do anything and I can get out of paying BT.

Has anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks

Junpit

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: BT are conning me!!!

If you already have a line into your house, I don't think you will be charged the full connection fee. Have a look at This page, it gives a number to ring for cases like yours.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

junpit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

I have just rang that number and they also quoted me 125 to reconnect as they said they had no record of the house ever being connected.

I guess I need another approach. I have just agreed with the seller that I can go around and plug in a BT phone to the BT socket to see if there is anything on it. Someone has suggested that the routing may have been removed and hence the need for an engineer. If I can get a dial tone and ring 150 I know my case will be much stronger.

Thanks Anyway.

Junpit

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junpit View Post
      Hi

I have just rang that number and they also quoted me 125 to reconnect as they said they had no record of the house ever being connected.

I guess I need another approach. I have just agreed with the seller that I can go around and plug in a BT phone to the BT socket to see if there is anything on it. Someone has suggested that the routing may have been removed and hence the need for an engineer. If I can get a dial tone and ring 150 I know my case will be much stronger.

Thanks Anyway.

Junpit
      Hmm i doubt you will mate!!