Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Mid to base?

This is a discussion on Mid to base? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Has anybody downgraded from mid to base?If so, is there a fee involved in the actual switch and also did ...

StevieBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Reading
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Mid to base?

Has anybody downgraded from mid to base?If so, is there a fee involved in the actual switch and also did you notice any appreciable difference in speed?Cheers in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Mid to base?

I believe this has to be done within 1 month of the connection going live and only if you have a good reason, I don't think they will accept funacial excuses.. The difference in speed will depend on what you have now. Base is capped at 2 mb.

There is one forum member who has been offered a downgrade, but he has a truly terrible phone line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK cheers Isitme. We've got pretty fair speeds as we're not that far away from the exchange. I would have thought that if you take up on a particular level, whether base,mid or max, personal choice would allow a user to change at the end of the 12 month contract. For example downgrading from mid to base means the original connection charge for base (40) has more than been covered through the monthly 5 payments for mid.
      Anybody else know much about this part of the service?

Thanks

You should be able to change when your contract is up. If necessary you could cease the service then restart again, with whatever speed you wanted. The only problem with that would be if the exchange was full, you may loose your place and have to join the queue.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers mate, I'm definitely thinking along the same lines as you. It's a funny one really 'cos you could say 'well it's only a fiver so what the hell' but when you're on the sky TV package then obviously you look to see where corners can be cut. I mean there's no way that we use anywhere near the 40Gb limit. Mind you I do wonder about the 2mb cap effect on speed for the base package.

Thanks

If you are not using more than 2Gb a month you are obviously not downloading much, so a 2Mb speed would suit you. There will be very little difference in general browsing speed. Graphic intensive pages may take a little longer, but that is about all. Just think back to when all we could get was 512kbps, it seemed rocket propelled compared to dial-up

TomD

Useful Utilites

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks buddy and for taking the time to reply to my enquiry.