Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

disconnections at the same time twice in two days.

This is a discussion on disconnections at the same time twice in two days. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Set up: ADSLNAtion master filter socket. Sky router disconnects (LCP DOWN, NOT ALLOWED TO COME UP) at 20:00 in last ...

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

disconnections at the same time twice in two days.

Set up:

ADSLNAtion master filter socket.

Sky router disconnects (LCP DOWN, NOT ALLOWED TO COME UP) at 20:00 in last two evenings.

Looking at router log I can see that 5 DOS attemp[ts have been blocked by the router in 5 or 10 minutes and then the router disconnects.

The only way to reconnect seems to be to power off the router for a few minute.s

Is this Sky's way of getting rid of DOS attacks by freezing the IP address?

Help si vous plait!
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: disconnections at the same time twice in two days.

I don't know if it will help, but you could try turning off Respond to Ping. To do so open the router set up click WAN Set up and untick the box. This is enabled by default, why I don't know, as it is an obvious security threat.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

turning off respond to ping limits the TS tier 3 can do as they ping routers to generate errors and see if work done to a profile is working...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

turning off respond to ping limits the TS tier 3 can do as they ping routers to generate errors and see if work done to a profile is working...
      That is no reason to have it enabled by default. If T3 need to do this they can ask you to turn it on until their test is finished. Since I turned mine off, DoS attacks have disappeared. Previously the Log was full of them, maybe a coincidence but....

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

perhaps....cant say ive heard of the Sky network under attack but surely ur virus software would've picked something up

and anyway, all routers have pings on be default - it's only an option to turn it off. Sky use pinging to test connections as chances are EU isn't in to test it at the time of call back - just helps speed things up
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I don't really want to prolong this, but AV will not help with this type of thing. A firewall may, but with the router set properly, it should not get as far as your PC. The following is from the router's WAN set up help.

Respond To Ping On Internet Port
      If you want the DG834GT to respond to a 'Ping' from the Internet, click this check box. This can be used as a diagnostic tool. This can be a security problem. You shouldn't check this box unless you have a specific reason to do so.

TomD

Useful Utilites