Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noise Problems - Anyone seen similar ?

This is a discussion on Noise Problems - Anyone seen similar ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Switched to Sky Broadband a few weeks ago and haven't had a decent connection since. I have all sorts of ...

wizzo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Noise Problems - Anyone seen similar ?

Switched to Sky Broadband a few weeks ago and haven't had a decent connection since.

I have all sorts of bizarre events happen. I can never connect for more than about 12 hours if I'm really luckily. I get the best connections in the evenings when broadband is busy and other people suffer from disconnections.

More often than not I have to swap microfilters or take the faceplate off my socket or just change anything at all with what's connected to get sync'd. After rebooting the router.

I can't use the phone as I can hear the broadband data kick in on the line. Sometimes using the phone will make broadband connect and when I hang up it disconnects. Sometimes it's the opposite and it'll be fine till you pick the phone up. I've got 6 different microfilters and there is no way all of them are duff !

I can watch my downstream noise margin start at 19dB and steadily decay to zero and then disconnect. Sometimes this takes 12 hours (very rare) more often than not it takes an hour or two.

Now getting more to the point....I have crackle on my phone line. It's been there years and I've never had ADSL broadband on the line before (been on cable broadband) so has anyone else had similar experiences with crackly phone lines???

I've got a BT engineer coming out tomorrow and I'm hoping he'll use another pair of wires or run a new cable in, cure the crackle and solve all my problems.

What do you lads think ??

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Noise Problems - Anyone seen similar ?

Quote Originally Posted by wizzo View Post
      What do you lads think ??
      Apart from the crackling line everything else points to incorrectly fitted or faulty microfilters. I know you say you've tried several and I don't mean to insult you in any way but how exactly are they fitted?

The most obvious thing to try is a direct connection to your test socket (hidden inside your master socket - assuming you have an NTE5). You need to connect the router using only a microfilter and the supplied router cable. If this still gives the same problems then it's either something very odd with your BT line or, possibly more likely, a faulty router/cable. If the connection is fine then it's down to your home wiring/filters etc.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I only have one socket (the master) in the house and even with just one microfilter and the router plugged in the same things happen. I forgot to mention that this is my second router already sky sent a replacement.

So it's a really basic setup, one socket, one router, one phone. I don't believe for a second I have two faulty routers and six faulty microfilters !! I've had the router plugged into the test socket on it's own with no phone and still the same, although this does give marginally better results in terms of staying connected for longer.

I think it may be what comms engineers call a "High Open" or corrosion in the wires some where underground. Hence the crackle and the adsl problems. I hope it is anyway. High Opens are quite rare though I've been reading.

Oh while I'm on, forgot to mention only the dowstream noise margin decays, upstream remains constant.

I have it capped at 2mb down and 512kb up while they try and sort it too.

Any more thoughts anyone?

This my current router status. Been connected 3 hours (pretty good for me) and the downstream noise margin started at 19dB

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 512 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.9 db 13.0 db

Probably got another hour before it's unplug and replug cables time and a reboot.
      Last edited by wizzo; 12-08-07 at 08:02 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I must agree with Saturday, if you hear crackling/modem noise on the line this points to the filters. That is what they are there for and if you hear modem noise, they are not working. If you hear crackling on the line when the phone is plugged in directly to your master socket, not using the filter, then it is your line at fault, only BT can fix this.

Have you had a look inside the Master socket to see it there are any wires there other than the ones connecting to the test socket terminals. If it is an old installation, wires may have been cut off in the past and bits left inside.

Do you have, or can you borrow another phone, there is a chance that your phone is faulty and could be contributing to the problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My house is only 4 years old. So there has never been an extension in the house, brand new wiring. I've tried 3 different phones and I've phoned 17070 and done the BT Quiet Line test with a corded phone and it is a marked crackle even when plugged into the test socket.

I 100% agree with you that normally being able to hear modem type noise (although pretty quiet) would point to a dodgy microfilter I literally have 6 im my house now and they are all the same. I even bought a splitter (filtered) yesterday day the give 2 phone and one adsl modem socket on it and that's exactly the same too. It's really weird !!

The most bizarre thing is when the signal degrades (noise margin) and then if you make a phone call you connect, hang up and it drops.

I've read somewhere though that when you have a bad line sometimes increasing the load (for want of a better phrase) i.e. having lots of devices plugged in and in use builds resistance and makes the circuit good again.

Like I say I'm pinning my hopes on the BT engineer tomorrow.

My problem does seem pretty unique.

moose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: huntingdon
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Wizzo, you are not alone with line problems, my sky mid connection is solid when it's calm and the sun's shining, but should we have any wind, rain or even worse both, then it's time to start rebooting the router, my NM dives from 7.5-8 down to the mid 4's in bad weather, it's a real pain. Your problem sounds like a linesman somewhere has definitely got their wires crossed. Please let us know how u get on.

garyten is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have a similar problem, my NM drops from 13 downstream to 0.3 after about 2 hours. ( Noticed very slow web pages, Then i manual reboot )

( upstream stays constant at 14 )

Ive been with SKY for 2 weeks now on a LLU mid package.

I'm now using my little Edimax router ive had for 4 years with PLUSNET, and the NM stays steady on 14, so im blaming the problem on the NETGEAR router.

I have one of those ADSL Nation face plates, and ive used this now for two years with Plusnet.

I also tried MOGNUTS Utility to fix the NM to 10 but never worked, just kept dropping, then i manual reboot, so i cant see anything other than it being the Netgear Router, In my case, at this time.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm wondering whether it's maybe crosstalk between two wires or maybe two wires swapped over in the wrong clips somewhere ? Maybe that's why no end of microfilters and I can still hear data noise ?

I've seen it writtin on here plenty of times about disconnecting the "Ring" Wire. Maybe my ring (or another wire) is crosstalking or maybe someone has punchdown two wires into one clip ??

If the BT Engineer finds something this afternoon I'll let you all know.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just had a call from the Missus and she said the engineer heard the crackle and pulled a new cable from a duct somewhere in the street, replaced the socket and now the line is clear as a bell. Internet connected itself up on it's own (with the same microfilter I'd used before) and all seems right in the world.

Obviously I can't explain to "her in doors" how to check noise margins etc etc so I'll post another message in a while when I get home.

Hopefully this solves all my problems. If it does it's very interesting how a bad length of twisted pair can mean you hear modem noise on the line. No one I spoke to believed me that it wasn't a microfilter issue !! But with the same microfilter I had on this morning (and you could hear data) now you can't hear anything at all according to my other half.

Will report further when I get home.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the wire was deteriorated or even if the insulation had broken down, this would account for the filter being unable to filter the line. I wonder how many others are in a similar position and immediately blame Sky?
      Hopefully your problems are solved and you will now be able to enjoy your Broadband

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast