Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Noise Problems - Anyone seen similar ?

This is a discussion on Noise Problems - Anyone seen similar ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Okay so I'm home now and what a difference !! No crackle on the line and been connected for hours ...

wizzo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Noise Problems - Anyone seen similar ?

Okay so I'm home now and what a difference !! No crackle on the line and been connected for hours since the BT engineer left and no sigh of the noise margin reducing !! Quite the opposite in fact.

Zero modem noise on the line and if I make a phonecall the Noise margin goes up and then settles back down without disconnecting.

Maybe you're right and people on here are quick to blame Sky and Exchanges for disconnections etc and in my case it was just the 10m of twisted pair from the BT box in the street to my front door.

I still admit that it looked like a router/microfilter problem. I will have to get uncapped now !! I was capped at 2mb while they tried to sort it out. Should get about 3.5Mb.

My current stats are :-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 512 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 23.8 db 14.0 db

2. Advertisement
      garyten is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I also seem to Fixed my problem, I tried again, to Turn of the UPNP and saved again, and this seems to have worked.

My NM is now steady between 13 and 14.

I did this when i first got the router and the box was unticked, but i re-done the save and it seems to have worked. Maybe i didnt save the action the first time.

Happy for now

Gary.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have another problem now !!!!!!! Getting past Tier 1 to speak to tier 3 to get my line uncapped !!!!!!!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

20 mins I've been explaining that I had a cap put on by Tier 3 while they tried to find what was wrong and they said to call back if it was a line fault and get the cap removed but the silly biiiitch just keep saying "you have had a new router and now the fault is fixed"

So I explain for the 20th time that it was a BT line fault and I need the cap removed !! Tier 1 is an absolute joke !

Finally she reopens the old ticket and hopefully I'll get a callback from Tier 3.

It's frustrating because it'll take a scottish Tier 3 bloke about 5 seconds to knock the cap off.

Anyone know a quicker way of getting your cap removed ? or speaking to Tier 3 direct ?

moose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: huntingdon
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Glad to hear the line problem is now sorted, I think getting past T1 could be the hard part. I guessed it was your line cos since living in the sticks I have had all manner of strange noises down our phone line. I will have to get round to giving BT a call re the fall off in speed here in bad weather. Strange thing though, the line appears clean on speech.
      I think the poor tech support thing goes hand in hand with the size of Sky as a company, I think they wrongly presume that the majority of people dont know what to plug in where etc when the fact is anyone who works and uses the net regularly will have some idea what they are doing, in many cases better than the T1's they're speaking to, maybe you should study a second language like Urdu or something similar, that way at least you'd understand 'em

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

can't reopen old tickets, new one would've been created and put in the que...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hopefully she wasn't just fobbing me off then ! I gave her some grief as she was just a talking robot. I suppose I'll see if I get a callback.

Mind you once when I phoned up I got an Scottish accent straigtaway and she also spoke directly to a supervisor and was really helpful. I'm guessing I got straight through to Tier 3 ??

She was the pne who finally said "We've tried everything this end judging by your tickets you will have to get BT out" and as it turned out she was dead right.

I might try ringing from work now and hanging up if it's a foreign accent. It must be quieter through the day.

Thanks

tier 3 aren't just based in Scotland...and it's busier during the day - best chance of getting to tier 3 is between 8-9am and 11-12pm

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Everyone with a Scottish accent doesn't live in Scotland

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cracked it !!! I rang 08702 404040 instead of the direct tech support. Wrote down the sequence of options 1 then 1 then 3

and hung up when I heard an asian voice ! Hung up on them twice and the third time I got what I wanted !! A SCOTTISH ACCENT !!!

He was Tier 1 but he had a grasp of English and told me that Tier 3 can't be that busy because he just put someone straight through to them. I held on the line for a bout a minute and BINGO !! Tier 3 !! Told the bloke I wanted my cap removed and it took him like 30 seconds. JOB DONE.

If you think about it Sky Broadband is a home package so people are at work and not phoning up. They wait till they are home and infront of their router as the voice explains when you ring.

So that's me sorted. Happy as a sand boy now.

Thanks

there is tier 1 Ireland too you know....glad ur done now. just dont complain if line goes **** up!!! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12