Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tie Pair = No BB from Wed 8th Aug

This is a discussion on Tie Pair = No BB from Wed 8th Aug within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I had my connect pack changed to LLU mid on Wed 1st Aug. When this was done my phone line ...

gav425 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Devonport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Tie Pair = No BB from Wed 8th Aug

I had my connect pack changed to LLU mid on Wed 1st Aug. When this was done my phone line lost all incomming calls. I reported this to BT who then took a week to fix this fault. To fix it they removed my BB, I called sky and they have told me that I had a problem with a Tie Pair, What the heck is that.

Sky have told me that it could take BT up to 10 Days to reconnect my BB as it will go through as a new connection.

I have looked on the BT order website but can't see any new order.

Why is this so pants??

gav425

2. Advertisement
      TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Tie Pair = No BB from Wed 8th Aug

Tie Pairs are the cables which connect your telephone line to the Sky DSLAMS (switches) as I understand it. I'm a bit confused about the mention of them here though - your problems sounds more like a stop start where the tags come off your internet line after a fault and a new order needs putting through...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

if BT are reporting faulty ties then they'll let us know that when Sky log a fault to them, Sky can then update new ties for ur connection and should take no longer than a week.....you want tier 1 to do a tone test (which should fail) and then they'll pass you to tier 2 to get logged to BT...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

gav425 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Devonport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

If this is a STOP START then should that show on the BT line order tracker?

There is no new order on there yet. Why should it take so long to sort out a simple problem?

gav425

Perseus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gav425 View Post
      I had my connect pack changed to LLU mid on Wed 1st Aug. When this was done my phone line lost all incomming calls. I reported this to BT who then took a week to fix this fault. To fix it they removed my BB, I called sky and they have told me that I had a problem with a Tie Pair, What the heck is that.

Sky have told me that it could take BT up to 10 Days to reconnect my BB as it will go through as a new connection.

I have looked on the BT order website but can't see any new order.

Why is this so pants??

gav425
      Your line is split into a Voice cable (phone) and Tie / Data cable (Broadband). Each has a Tie Pair. The tie pair associate with the Tie / Data cable is the only one Sky/Easynet have any influence over. Normally when Openreach make the final connection for your broadband to go live, they take out your phone line for 10 minutes or so while those connections are made.

At times a tie pair will be faulty and as such, once connected you'll get no BB service so the Openreach engineer logs it and Openreach then notify Sky and your order does get provisioned fully. Sky will request new a new tie pair for the faulty one on your Tie / data cable, which Openreach will then swap and connect. This could take up to 14 days with Sky, but should normally by 3-5 days with Openreach.

On this occasion it sounds as though both tie pairs are faulty. Openreach will have notified Sky of the faulty tie / data pair which Sky will then process. It sounds as though your Voice cable tie pair was also faulty which is the one Openreach would have resolved when you rang BT.

Because Openreach have removed the Data tie pair and allocated a new Voice tie pair to get your phone back up and running, your broadband order would have been booted off as it sat with faulty tie pairs for too long and Sky did not respond. It doesn't sound like you had a stop-start which is when your phone line is switched off and re-activated (normally for non-payment of bills or at the customer's request (ie home move)), and tag removal is irrelevant as you did not yet have a Sky marker on your line yet - stop-starts are not use by BT to remove markers.

Sky will put through a fresh order so that you will have a new position in the exchange and subsequently a different set of tie cables and pairs. Once the connection is made, again your phone will go down for 10 minutes as they connect the pairs.
      Last edited by Perseus; 12-08-07 at 11:40 AM. Reason: clarification

Thanks

^ good explanation....

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

TSx
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The only thing that confused me was the fact that his phone stopped working on the 1st and the broadband only stopped working on the 8th (according to the topic title) in which case its the voice tie pair that's the problem, and the only reason I suggested a stop start ("They had to remove the broadband") - its looks like he did have working broadband recently...

Thanks

Have seen this happen before - it could very well be a stop/start, in which case the ticket will be moved to prov' for cease & reprovide but this isn't the fault of Sky as BT shouldn't cease a line without letting Sky know first!!

HOPEFULLY, it's just a case of rejumpering the line and off you go...

Perseus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSx View Post
      The only thing that confused me was the fact that his phone stopped working on the 1st and the broadband only stopped working on the 8th (according to the topic title) in which case its the voice tie pair that's the problem, and the only reason I suggested a stop start ("They had to remove the broadband") - its looks like he did have working broadband recently...
      I took it to mean he was switched from Connect on 1st and it was supposedly being connected on 8th.

Only way would be for him to contact one of you Sky Prov/OMT/SRT/CRT chaps and track his order.

TSx
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fair enough - a ticket will have gone to provisioning I think anyway, but if (as happens in far too many cases) it requires a status change, it'll be more than 10 days.

The problem with this new tier 3 provisioning is that it is inaccessible by phone - provisioning cannot transfer to them, and as far as I am aware, neither can regular tier 3 - and the majority of provisioning staff have not been trained on how to use the ticket systems so when they see a note with *tier3* in it, they transfer to tier 1 or (worse?) tier 3... but I could be misunderstanding the situation, I haven't actually worked front office for a while

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast