Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed Issues on Mid

This is a discussion on Speed Issues on Mid within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have recently been switched over to the Mid package, from Connect. Since the change over I have noticed ...

bjs2007uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed Issues on Mid

Hi I have recently been switched over to the Mid package, from Connect. Since the change over I have noticed that the general speed of websites loading and also that when I click on a link on a website (tried on many) it seems to take longer to respond/load the selected link. I dont know if that makes sense but I have described it the best I can. I have not changed anything on my computer since the change over so I presume it rules out the computer being overloaded with stuff?

The speed on the router status page are always what they used to be with Connect, varying between 4.5MB - 7.3MB with always an upload speed of 416kbps so I don't know what really could of caused this problem? To be honest its not unbareable but I would like to improve it if possible. I am quite new to the whole Ping thing but when I ping a website it usually is about 80, is this normal for someone on the Mid package and could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance

P.S. If you require anymore information or status from the router please dont hesitate to ask me. Thanks!!!!

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Speed Issues on Mid

If your download speeds are fine then slow page loading is probably a DNS problem.

Many users (me included) find Sky's DNS very inconsistent and have switched to other free public DNS servers. Many favour OpenDNS (see half way down on the right on their home page for instructions on how to use).

That's the first thing I'd try.

HTH

PS Please amend your Skyuser profile if you're now on Mid.
      Last edited by Saturday; 10-08-07 at 08:28 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I will update my profile in a min. Can I just check that using this service is free and its not some sort of scam or anything? Also can they view what you browse on the Internet if you set up their DNS? Sorry to be over cautious.

Thanks

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Also I have just tried to set this service up but I have got up to the step where I have logged onto the routers status page but what option down the left hand side do I need to select so I can type in the DNS addresses?

Thanks in advance

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

There may be a way, but I do not think you can do this with the Sky Firmware. You do not have access to the Basic Set up page which is required to alter these settings.

You should set up the Open DNS server in your PCs Local Area Connection Properties. This should override the setting in the router. Follow the instructions for setting it up in the OS you use.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I have set it up on all my PC's/Laptops now so they all connect to that open DNS server. I think I can already tell there is some difference. One last question though- can I set up my Xbox 360 to use the open DNS or is there no point/can't do that?

Thanks in advance

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

I believe there is an advantage in using OpenDNS with the Xbox, but I am afraid I don't know how to set it up. I am sure there will be another user who knows how to do this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.