Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

a couple of Q's about skybroadband

This is a discussion on a couple of Q's about skybroadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi ive been looking into switching to sky from virgin and i was wondering if being 1.57km from the nearest ...

arj154 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

a couple of Q's about skybroadband

hi

ive been looking into switching to sky from virgin and i was wondering if being 1.57km from the nearest exchange(springfield) is good and what are the things that can effect the speed of the broadband? Also what are the advantages of ASDL2+? also will i be able to keep my router? ive got a dlink DI 624 and i was wondering if i can just plug it into a asdl modem. also is it easy to switch?

sorry of ive posted in the wrong section or any spelling mistakes.
      Thanks in advance for any help

2. Advertisement
      mike_b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackwood
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: a couple of Q's about skybroadband

Your distance from your exchange is not bad, you are under a mile and i would consider 3 miles to really effect your speed. The factors that really affect your speed would be your distance from your exchange, the quality of the line, and the exchange could be a factor. sky may put you on ADSL2 with bb max if your line can support speeds above 8mbps. I think your Line Attenuation is a big factor, if its too high you may not be put on ADSL2 because its less stable.
      Last edited by mike_b; 09-08-07 at 05:17 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike_b View Post
      Your distance from ur exchange is not bad, u are under a mile and i would consider 3 miles to really effect your speed. The factors that really affect ur speed would be your distance from your exchange, the quality of the line, what your exchange can support (some exchanges may not be able to support more than 3mbps). sky may put you on ADSL2 with bb max your line can support speeds above 8mbps. I think your Line Attenuation is a big factor, if its too high you may not be put on ADSL2 because its less stable.
      how can i check for this? also does it matter if theres roughly 13000 connected to the exchange?
      this is the exchange Samknows - CMSPR exchange im currently on virgin and i havent been on any other since dial up! so how good is it is it best to ask others in my area about broadband? will i have to use there router?
      Last edited by arj154; 09-08-07 at 05:22 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you on a Virgin cable connection at the moment, if you are, keep it until you have Sky up and running. Generally, cable connections are better than phone lines for broadband. Have you checked that you can get a Sky connection to the exchange, it was one of the earlier ones to be enabled, so I would be surprised if it is not sold out. If you do decide to change, before you commit yourself, make sure you get a firm assurance that Mid or Max is available, by letter or email, don't believe what you are told on the phone.

Given your distance from the exchange, provided your line is good, you should get 13 to 15.5 Mb, although you will not know for sure until you are connected. The actual number on your exchange does not matter much, provided Sky have spaces available. It is part of the T & Cs that you use the Sky router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Are you on a Virgin cable connection at the moment, if you are, keep it until you have Sky up and running. Generally, cable connections are better than phone lines for broadband. Have you checked that you can get a Sky connection to the exchange, it was one of the earlier ones to be enabled, so I would be surprised if it is not sold out. If you do decide to change, before you commit yourself, make sure you get a firm assurance that Mid or Max is available, by letter or email, don't believe what you are told on the phone.

Given your distance from the exchange, provided your line is good, you should get 13 to 15.5 Mb, although you will not know for sure until you are connected. The actual number on your exchange does not matter much, provided Sky have spaces available. It is part of the T & Cs that you use the Sky router.
      thanks! i was also wondering wiether its true that i will have to use bts phone service for 3 months? i was connected before. Also will my current wireless adapter(dlink dwk G132) work with the netgear router? Also what phone socket will they use? we have 3 phone sockets in out house so will it be possible to have the router plugged into any of them or are they wired differently because we are on cabe?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you have to use BT sockets, and i'd personally recommend using the router in ur master as it cuts out the possibility of bad extentions causing noise on the line which will affect speed - and as ur wireless u can do it.

all wireless adapters are compatible with the router, just depends which security the adapter uses (Sky router by default is WPA)

and cable is infinately better/more stable than adsl - just costs more
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think you have to be connected to BT for any length of time to qualify, having a BT compatible line is the main thing.

There is no reason why your Adapter should not work with the Netgear, it is capable of 108 Mbs, as is the router.

The phone socket will have to be a BT one, if you don't have one, you will need to get one installed. I don't know if Cable sockets are compatible, they may be, if not they would have to be replaced.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.