Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help - 2 questions before joining Sky

This is a discussion on Help - 2 questions before joining Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am currently with Virgin cable at 4mb and pay line rental to TalkTalk. I rang sky to ask what ...

freefall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hartburn
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help - 2 questions before joining Sky

I am currently with Virgin cable at 4mb and pay line rental to TalkTalk. I rang sky to ask what speed I could expect if I joined skyMax but the guy refused to say until I started the sign up process!

1) I used the tools on this site and it says my exchange (hartburn, Cleveland) can support Sky Max up to 16mb but when I use the ADSL checker it says

Line Speed Checker (ADSL)
      We have determined your line is capable of upto 4mb or 4000Kbps.
      Full Details:

* 1 & 2mb available
      * 500Kbps/256Kbps available
      * ADSL MAX (upto 8mb) is available.

So do I take it that if i choose ADSL Max I will only get up to 4mb in which case theres not much point.

2) Do I need to stop paying my line rental with Talk Talk and go back to BT and then join up to Sky or can I continue to pay line rental only with Talk Talk ( if have no call plans - just the basic service) ? I am getting mixed messages when I look through these forums.

TIA

Freefall

Freef

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help - 2 questions before joining Sky

Sorry I meant to say, will I get more than 4MB if I join up to Sky Max (ADSL 2)

Freefall

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If that is all the info that is on the exchange, it does not appear to be Sky enabled. ADSLMax is a BT product, sold by Sky as 'Connect'. If Sky intend enabling the exchange within the next 5-6 months, you may be offered Connect at 5, instead of 17.

Unfortunately it is not possible to say what your speed would be until you are connected with the Sky router. If you can post the stats of your router, ie, SNR and Attenuation, someone may be able to give you an indication.

As you say there is a lot of conflicting advice about TalkTalk and BT, but basically it is a BT line so you should be OK. Maybe you should consider changing your phone to Sky as well. This would remove any doubt. (I don't work for Sky)

If you don't know how to get your line stats, this may help, just scroll down to your router-
      ::. Kitz - Get your adsl line stats .::
      Last edited by Isitme; 08-08-07 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added info

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, I thought I had made myself clear with my second post - the checker says I can get SKY MAX ie ADSL 2 which offers speeds up to 16Mb but the ADSL checker tool says I can only get 4mb ( not the 8mb max that this supports) so therefore would the ADSL2 package called SKYMax only give me 4mb (rather than the 16mb max supported).

I know its rare to get 16mb, I am approx 1 mile from the exchange, but I am hoping for 8- 10mb otherwisem I might as well stick with Virgins crumby 4mb for 25 /month

Freefall

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

u NEED to have a line u pay line rental to BT to for Sky BB.....it says it in the T&C's
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Without your line stats it is impossible to tell, but if you are a mile from the exchange and your line is reasonable, you would probably get 12-14 mb. If you obtain your line stats and put them into THIS checker it will give you a good idea.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

u NEED to have a line u pay line rental to BT to for Sky BB.....it says it in the T&C's
      Could you point to where it says this please? I can find no reference to having to have your line rental with BT. All I can find is that it must be a BT compatible. Several members of the forum use Post Office Home Phone and pay rental to them, for example.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You don't need to pay line rental to BT you can use any company you want and not just BT. All it says in T&Cs is that you need a BT compatable line.