Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

speed keeps droping to 0 then climbing up again

This is a discussion on speed keeps droping to 0 then climbing up again within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Koala5 Total time = 13 hours 41 min 40 sec SF = 3044507 CRC = 81223 LOS ...

badasschris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: speed keeps droping to 0 then climbing up again

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Total time = 13 hours 41 min 40 sec
      SF = 3044507
      CRC = 81223
      LOS = 377
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1753

Your CRC errors "line errors " are very high which could be your problem! they ideally should be less than 0.1% of the SF figure so from your stats above they shouldn't be higher than 3044 yours are 81223. You may have a wiring issue. Firstly open up all sockets and make sure only pins 2 and 5 are connected. If you can find you master which is usually the one with a split face plate i.e. front plate is in 2 halves, if you remove the lower half you should find a test socket behind there, if you plug your router in there it will isolate you from any extension wiring so if things improve you know it is your wiring causing the problem. If your master isn't that type then try the wiring pin 2 and 5 thing.
      Thanks I will try this now, why on earth would they put my master in my airing cupboard that just seems crazy and is very annoying for me as ill need a super long ether net cable for my xbox, if i find it is the wiring does it cost alot to have it fixed.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can usually be sorted out yourself, disconnecting all wires apart from 2 and 5 can have a dramatic effect it fixed my problems. Also avoid having any plug in extension phone cables plugged in anywhere even away from the router connection, they are usually cheap crap cable that can introduce noise and errors.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just to add to Koala5's comments, it is not a very good idea to have the router in a cupboard. This Netgear, in particular, is very susceptible to overheating, it really wants to be in an open area with some air circulation. A longer ADSL cable so that the router can be situated outside the cupboard would be a better solution. You will find longer ADSL cables HERE if you want to go this way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok now ive been up and running for a little while to the main test port i can definately tell that was the problem I've had no cut outs at all, the problem is there isnt even a power socket in the cupboard so i have cables trailing all over my entrance hall, when u say about having only wires 2and 5 connected do u mean on the extension port i am using?

thanks alot guys things are starting to get solved

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have reasonably modern phones you can quite safely disconnect this wire in all of your sockets. Just remove the front plate of the socket and ease the wire off the No3 terminal. You may even find, after you do this that you will get better results with the router plugged into an extension socket, although you will always get the best results from the Master socket. Remember too that you need filters on all appliances plugged into the phone line, no matter where the router is plugged in.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I mean only pin 2 and 5 connected in all sockets.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

wooooo yay its seems to be fine now wicked thanks so much guys i now have a working bb connection thanks so much for all your help and it was all that number 3 wire messing things up.
      Last edited by badasschris; 09-08-07 at 07:02 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badasschris View Post
      wooooo yay its seems to be fine now wicked thanks so much guys i now have a working bb connection thanks so much for all your help and it was all that number 3 wire messing things up.
      Cool I'm glad you sorted it out, I suffered for 3 month's before I found this forum and some kind person lead me to the cause of my problems! lol

kn0bby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01420
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

I am having very similar problems to what you were experiencing. I download quite a bit and i find the downloads start off very fast then slow down to 20-100k, where as then can peak up to 1500k from a multi connection download tool (1.5meg), if i download with a single connection i get max 603k, which i think is pretty normal. When things slow down i tend to reboot the router and things usually speed up again but then can slow down or be good for a while. Is this isp shaping?

I have just reboot my router so i am waiting to get a good days worth of logs before posting this.

Any thoughts? let me know if u need additional info.

thanks

Knobby

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well you could go through the advice on this thread, i.e. try the test socket etc etc etc. Sky do not use traffic shaping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast