Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is there a limit to number of PCs I can network?

This is a discussion on Is there a limit to number of PCs I can network? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been using Sky Broadband for about a month now, I have 2 desktop PCs (one XP Pro and one ...

dan356 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is there a limit to number of PCs I can network?

I've been using Sky Broadband for about a month now, I have 2 desktop PCs (one XP Pro and one Vista Ultimate) and a laptop (also Vista Ultimate) all connected wirelessly via 54G cards.

Until now they've all worked fine - but today I connected a Squeezebox (a wireless media player), and suddenly the XP Pro desktop PC is now loading web pages really slowly, most of the time it just times out. MSN Messenger connects and works OK though.

I've checked the router setup and I can see all 4 devices are attached and in the Trusted Wireless Station list. Interestingly though, when I delete the Squeezebox from the Trusted list, the XP Pro desktop PC runs fine again.

I was wondering if Sky Broadband somehow limits the amount of PCs/devices I can connect to the router. Can this be the case? If so, is there anyway around it?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Is there a limit to number of PCs I can network?

I don't think Sky limit the amount of connections you can make to the router. I think the Squeezbox may be hogging too much bandwidth. You can check the connection issue by disconnecting one of the PCs instead of the Sqeezbox, see what difference there is, if any.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In my experience the limit to the number of computers you can network is the wife !!

M4rmite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMDD
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

try using netlimiter or similar and hold back the bandwidth on the squeeze box

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you are using your squeezbox then that could be the problem, that streaming audio could be consuming all the wireless bandwidth. This is especially bad if your slimserver is also on a machine connected wirelessly, as this will be using bandwidth to stream to the AP and the squeezebox will be using bandwidth to stream from the AP.

Wireless is a shared medium i.e. 54Mbps is shared between all the devices connected and to make matters worst it isn't shared evenly. The device which shouts loudest (has the best Signal strength) will get the lions share of the bandwidth. This isn't helped by it not being a true 54Mbps as you have network overheads on that 54Mbps.

To improve things you could put a second wireless card in your slimserver box and set it up as an AP on a different channel to your Sky AP. Then connect your squeezebox to that (giving it 54Mbps all to it's self) then bridge the connections using Internet connection sharing (for Internet access for the squeezebox). Then roberts your fathers brother. That or use wires :-)
      Last edited by armitasp; 05-08-07 at 05:06 PM.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Only limited to how much your wallet can support.....and i think it may run out long before you reach the maximum number of pc's u can connect!
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

edwardw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYDEW
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well
      ideally by ethernet its 254!
      you can get around that by changing subnets!
      Connected @ 13mbit on SkyMAX

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edwardw View Post
      well
      ideally by ethernet its 254!
      you can get around that by changing subnets!

ethernet places no limits on the number of addresses, I think you are refering to IP. But even with IPv4 the limit isn't 254. The largest available contiguos private address space is 10.0.0.0/8 which provides 16,777,216 address however this could be combined with the 172.16.0.0/12 and 192.168.0.0/16 which would give a total address space of (17,891,328). That however would be a stupidly big collision domain and actually unworkable. Really you don't want anything bigger than a /21 (2046 addresses).

;-)