Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow connection on Max! I've tried to fix it myself but...

This is a discussion on Slow connection on Max! I've tried to fix it myself but... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Techys!! You must get this ALLLLL the time, but I have recently subscribed to Sky Max and am still ...

DMad83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chapeltown (Leeds)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Slow connection on Max! I've tried to fix it myself but...

Hi Techys!!

You must get this ALLLLL the time, but I have recently subscribed to Sky Max and am still getting very slow download speeds. I have been trying to fix it for weeks now and have been trying to follow advice on the forums, but its all sooo confusing - i have no idea what i'm doing to be honest! I have included as much info as poss below (thanks Mossywell for all the advice), so if anyone out there would like to take pity on a complete network noob it would be very much appreciated!!

Package:- Sky Broadband Max

Speed Test:-

Efforts so far:- Finally removed an extension cable and moved the router next to the phone socket. Download rate was previously 44kb/s!

Wiring:- Router direct to phone socket using filter provided. Router wireless connected to pc.

Distance from exchange:- 860 metres from exchange as the crow flies (dont know where speedtest got 150mi from?!).

Detailed stats:-

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 532 Kbps, Downstream rate = 13349 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.9 7.0
      Attn(dB): 24.0 13.2
      Pwr(dBm): 0.9 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 13408 632
      Rate (Kbps): 13349 532
      G.dmt framing
      K: 241(0) 17
      R: 14 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 106 68
      B: 240 16
      M: 1 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 14 16
      S: 0.5752 7.6962
      L: 3546 158
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 145050 145048
      SFErr: 17477 2
      RS: 16245662 1232908
      RSCorr: 5854960 28
      RSUnCorr: 171833 0

HEC: 14009 1
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 73499592 2928883
      Data Cells: 718445 177491
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 1516 2
      SES: 1504 0
      UAS: 14 61
      Total time = 39 min 16 sec
      SF = 145050
      CRC = 17477
      LOS = 10201
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1516
      Latest 1 day time = 39 min 16 sec
      SF = 145050
      CRC = 17477
      LOS = 10201
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1516
      Latest 15 minutes time = 9 min 16 sec
      SF = 34571
      CRC = 4125
      LOS = 2442
      LOF = 0
      ES = 377
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55861
      CRC = 6735
      LOS = 3909
      LOF = 0
      ES = 605
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 54618
      CRC = 6617
      LOS = 3850
      LOF = 0
      ES = 534

Thanks!!!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Slow connection on Max! I've tried to fix it myself but...

ur phone line is screwed - u tried the test socket (assuming u have one). defo a wiring issue though so dont bother calling Sky until u got that sorted first. also, are al sockets in use in ur property have filters on (including any alarm systems)? if not that'll also be having an affect
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

DMad83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chapeltown (Leeds)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply! Yep all connections have filters...

As far as I know, the socket I am now connected to is the only one in the house?? Is the test socket something different?

And without wanting to sound like a total 'tard, what do i do about the dodgey wiring? get someone in? (wasnt exagerating before about being a TOTAL noob)...

Thanks again...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMad83 View Post
      I have recently subscribed to Sky Max and am still getting very slow download speeds.
      Your line is generating a HUGE number of errors and this is undoubtedly contributing to your poor throughput as so much data is having to be retransmitted. However, I doubt that's the full reason. I bet this is:
      Quote Originally Posted by DMad83 View Post
      Router wireless connected to pc.
      First off you need to sort your wiring out. See the cabling and faceplate help forum for info on diagnosing and fixing wiring problems.

Once you've done that, or at the same time if you're feeling energetic, you need to see if you can improve your wireless connection.

Wireless technology for all the hype is not very satisfactory in the home environment. A good connection depends on two things: wireless signal strength and wireless signal quality. It sounds like you have a problem with both.

First thing you need to do is run a test by connecting your PC to the router with the supplied ethernet cable. Do a speed test and check the results. Almost certainly you'll find that things are much better and if so this confirms that the problem is with the wireless.

Once you've established the baseline (wired) for what your connection can deliver, you need to start trying to improve the wireless strength and quality to see if you can get it near to the wired performance.

The two main things to try are trying alternative wireless channels and trying different positions for the router and or the aerial orientation. Small changes can make big differences especially things like moving the router off the floor and away from large metal or electric devices. Wireless channel changes are done within the router admin pages - how to access these is covered in the first part of the first sticky in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Once you have improved your wireless signal to the best you can, only you can decide whether that's good enough or whether you need to run a wired connection. Sometimes wireless just can't offer a good enough connection whatever you do.

HTH