Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Same old router disconnection

This is a discussion on Same old router disconnection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey everyone I know there are alot of posts regarding the random disconnects/lockups of the router but i can not ...

Makka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sittingbourne
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Same old router disconnection

Hey everyone

I know there are alot of posts regarding the random disconnects/lockups of the router but i can not see any that really give a way around solving it.

I got setup on the 10th Sept so have not had much chance to really play around with it. I have 2 desktop pc's connected by ethernet and 1 laptop connected wirelessly. I can get all 3 on the internet at the same time, also they can all see each other and share files no problem.

Then randomly the router appears to 'lockup'. I have run the setup on all 3 machines but they all seem quite different when you check Network Connections. One of the desktops has an internet gateway (am at work so going by memory) and when the internet drops from all 3 machines the properties for this internet gateway shows how long it has been running, well, this stops and shows a frozen time. A quick power down of the router fixes the problem everytime.

So not too sure if i have some settings wrong somewhere on a pc, but in the past when i thought my settings where wrong it was infact something completely different and by changing my settings i break something else

Any ideas on what might be causing this would be great, in general my changeover from BT Broadband was ok, just a 1 day delay in the router arriving. But sky technical help is a joke, i really dont care what nationality the operator is, but out of the 10 operators i have spoken to only 1 was really helpful, and he was the English one. The impression i got was that they just want to ask stupid questions, put you on hold...rinse and repeat until you get bored or frustrated. I even asked the tech what the call rate for this call was and i could of got a better and quicker answer from a 3 yr old.

But i have got a ticket number with the Tier 3 techs which has been open for 2 days now with no call back. It's a new product so pretty much expected problems, just hope they clear soon

Dave.

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      i think some of the routers are naff as this is exactly what happens to me. i have eliminited all other possibilities. either ther router hardware has a fault or there is a big problem with the software

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Makka

It has been said on here in reply to other people who have had the same problems that if you have a software firewall running that could cause the router to stall so try disabling it and see what happens.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      it should work with the xp firewall or they should not be sending these things out. anyway a firewall on your pc has nothing to do with the router dropping the connection - it might impair communication with the router if you have not set it up correctly.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.

Im starting to think the same about the router being naff dingdong, i was offered a replacement one but thought i would try to resolve it my end incase it was my setup. Also i wasnt sure if getting a new router would leave me with no connection or i could just do a straight swap when the new one arrived.

Wheelie, i have comodo firewall installed on the laptop and 1 desktop, and windows firewall on the 2nd desktop, i have tried turning all the firewalls off but still had the same problem

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I don't recall saying anything about xp firewall and if you would to go and read some of the comments in this post Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY you may well have a better idea of what is what.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      if this was in reply to my post - no you didn't say anything about xp - i did though - and i don't need to read the other post to know that what i said here is factual.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @ Makka

Ok mate I only suggested it as a possible solution as its been said that software firewalls can affect the router, I have to be honest and say that NetGear routers tend to be very good but like all technology you get the odd bad one.
      Ray

click here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      no problem

one other thing - sky have probably ordered thousands of these things ( they are made in China) mine certainly did not have a QC sticker on it. - so i suspect all the normall faulty ones got batched up with the good ones as no testing seems to have been done. They are just leaving it up to the users to weed out the faulty ones i think

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My first impressions of the router is pretty good, all 3 pc's connected to the internet easily, all 3 could see each other well and my download speed is 3x better than what i had for nearly a 1/3 of the price.

So just the lockups to sort out which im hoping can be a quick fix or a replacement router. I work in manufacturing so when something is faulty im very sympathetic as i know how hard it is to get everything 100% right all the time.

I know im going to be happy with sky, just really depends on how quickly i can overcome this problem, i just wish i could work out if its my setup or theirs thats at fault.

When i get home tonight i will have another play around with the firewalls though just in case it is interfering with something.

Dave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast