Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

help cancelling Base package after 3 months

This is a discussion on help cancelling Base package after 3 months within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Well after about 3 months on Sky base I've decided I can't stand the constant disconnections any more (error ...

Hogletia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

help cancelling Base package after 3 months

Hi,

Well after about 3 months on Sky base I've decided I can't stand the constant disconnections any more (error 300) and decided to try and cancel and go back to Virgin.

I spoke to the 'cancellation dept' and was told that I was not allowed to cancel it because I was in a 12 month contract. I pointed out that as it was free, they were welcome to send me a bill for the whole 12 months.

The man from cancellations then told me that if they let me cancel my BB then in a couple of months I might decide to cancel my Sky TV too. I pointed out that I am very happy with the TV and had no wish to cancel it, but he didn't seem to care...

He finally conceded that if I wrote to them and could prove I was having serious technical difficulties then they might let me cancel. I can't 'prove it' as I haven't phoned tech support because quite frankly, I can't face it. I still have a file an inch thick from when I had to deal with 'tech support' at Tiscali.

After more questioning, he told me that I could get a MAC code, but I couldn't cancel my contract. Eh?

Does that mean that they will clear my line and let me go to another ISP, but I'm still under contract to them and have to pay them 0.00 a month?

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: help cancelling Base package after 3 months

Is virgin not via cable? if so why worry about cancelling Sky? just get the cable reconnected and away you go.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Why not try and and sort these frequent disconnections out first ? When I moved over to the Mid package from Connect I suffered from these at first but after phoning them (just the once) and sending them one email for their online form they sorted it out for me.

Try sending them an email as I got a reply from the one I sent so they obviously do read them.

Sky_Surfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hogletia View Post

After more questioning, he told me that I could get a MAC code, but I couldn't cancel my contract. Eh?
      I believe that no company can withhold a mac code or tie down your line in anyway. They will try to tell you they cant give it to you but they can. They are not even allowed to refuse you a mac code as a way to retrieve debts you owe on the account.
      Although no matter how knowledgeable you are on computers / Internet if you haven't called they could say you haven't tried to get your issues resolved. If it were me i would try a couple of ways of sorting your problems via c/s and email before paying for a service you could be getting for free.
      However the issuing of a mac code does not release you from your contractual obligations.
      Last edited by Sky_Surfer; 01-08-07 at 06:55 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

I am in a non-cable area, so i used to get Virgin through my BT line.

I suppose I should try tech support first. If I'm just going to get someone who reads from a script, doesn't listen to a word I'm saying and is completely useless, I don't know if I can face it I'll probably run up a huge bill and end up hitting my head on the table.

I still don't really understand about the contractual obligations bit. If I was signed up to a company on a 12 month contract that charged me 15 a month, I would expect to be billed for the full 12 months if I cancelled it and that's fair enough.
      The Base package is free , so what can they do to me to punish me for leaving before the 12 months other than refuse me a MAC code, which I don't think they're allowed to do?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think you have anything to worry about, as you say Base is free, so you are actually saving them money by leaving. They may ask for the return of the router and other bits and pieces, but as they give them out like penny sweets, I don't think they will bother. Ask for your MAC, they must supply it within 5 days, give it to your preferred ISP and that is it.

Having said that you should really try and resolve the problems. On base, you would have a 2Mb connection which should not strain your line too much, unlike most who have problems moving from a 2 to 8/16 Mb connection. You should start another thread, laying out your problems and include a Detailed Stat for your router. You may be surprised at how easily some problems are solved.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I've just e-mailed customer service mentioning the magic words 'error 300', so I'll see what they say. I didn't know you could e-mail them

If I get no joy I will post full stats on a new thread and see if anyone can help.

I forgot to mention that a stable connection is essential as I play a lot of online poker tournaments and if it disconnects at a critical moment, I can end up losing as it can take 10 minutes to get re-connected. I've lost more money through Sky BB disconnects, than I've saved by cancelling Virgin:eek

If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be too bothered about the disconnections - after all, it is free.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As a follow up to my post above, I even got a letter from Sky today saying that they had "made some updates to the network which should have improved your service". In other words I have been capped and as I said earlier this has fixed my disconnections. So be patient as it might be a while before they reply but with a bit of luck somebody will get on your case.

Rygar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Lochnagar
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would have guessed that the terms of the contract would say that by taking base you are essentially agreeing to be tied to the TV side for the next 12 months. So in theory there should be no problem with migrating the ADSL. Just guessing here though.

On another note if you do migrate away, why oh why go back to Virgin ADSL? There are ISPs so much better out there. I guess since you were on base you must be a light user so why not go with Newnet Lite for example @ 13/month. Great ISP and only a monthly contract. Or if you feel like splashing out 20/month, an Entanet reseller is pretty good value with a good data transfer allowance. Also just a one month contract.

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Here is a little trick that we can do at BT for anyone stuck with a broadband provider who will not release a phone line!

Call BT and request that they terminate your line, and request a reconnection!

For example your line gets terminated at 23.59 and reconnected at 00.00 you get a new account number but everything else remains the same! Same phone number etc....

The broadband is automatically sent for disconnection from that line by BT and the line tags cleared, so your free to sign up with another provider or simply keep the line for use as a phone line only!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast