Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

help cancelling Base package after 3 months

This is a discussion on help cancelling Base package after 3 months within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; as has been said sky have to give you a mac code as its ofcom regs. however you are tied ...

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: help cancelling Base package after 3 months

as has been said sky have to give you a mac code as its ofcom regs. however you are tied to a 12 month min period wether you pay for it or not and as such sky can legally leave our tags on your line until the end of the 12 month term.

Thats the precedure. however as posted above there is ways around it should you choose to do so. However to leave yourself in a better position i would certainly make a reasonable effort to get it fixed.

2. Advertisement
      Rygar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Lochnagar
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Surely the legal position cannot be they have to give you a MAC but can still leave tags on the line for a year? That's a contradiction isn't it, as this would mean the MAC would be useless.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

yes, perhaps it is slightly contradictory, but receiving a MAC code does not cancel your contract.

A contract is a contract. just because there isnt a monthly fee, does not mean you are not obliged to complete your contract, and as such, are subject to the same rules as people who pay for their service

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, but you can always terminate a contract with the likes of Vodafone or Virgin by paying the balance of the contract for the minimum term - here, thats actually impossible.

Get a mac code, use it, they'll just hold you to 12 months on the TV side of things...

Thanks

nobody said it made sense, for this you have to thank ofcom. they decided that no matter what everyone gets a mac. what will happen is if sky tags are left on the line. sure you can use your mac goto someone else they just wont be able to add there service.

at the end of the day if you use the mac and you know your still in contract for 12 months then the customer only have themselfs to blame. Crazy

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
      nobody said it made sense, for this you have to thank ofcom. they decided that no matter what everyone gets a mac. what will happen is if sky tags are left on the line. sure you can use your mac goto someone else they just wont be able to add there service.

at the end of the day if you use the mac and you know your still in contract for 12 months then the customer only have themselfs to blame. Crazy
      Sky Tags won't still be on the line - a mac code is to allow a transfer across and as such the tags will be removed using it. As I said, the only reason they won't cancel it is because they want you to still be in your 12 month contract on the TV. They'll hold you to it, even if you switch providers (which is fair enough...)

Thanks

I know what a mac code is, however if sky tags are removed we will be putting ours back on thus creating a line hijack. which is what other companys are busy doing to sky customers who broke there original contract with other provider.

a mac code is not a get out of contract free number.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I know what a mac code is, however if sky tags are removed we will be putting ours back on thus creating a line hijack
      Can't quite follow you there, who is/are the 'we' you refer to? When a MAC is issued and used by an ISP within 30 days, there is no way the issuing ISP can 'tag' the line. If they did, they would be in breach of Ofcom regulations and could be fined. In saying that, there would be nothing to stop them issuing a 'dud' MAC to create trouble for the customer, but if they were caught at this, the penalty would be serious. In this case, as long as the customer keeps up the TV payments, there should be no problem dropping the broadband. Lets face it, the offer of free Base broadband is just an incentive to take out a TV contract and by it's very nature brings no returns to Sky. I am sure they would be happy if everyone on Base opted out, as long as they continued the TV contract.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Hogletia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks everyone, but I'm still confused.

I suppose it depends what exactly is meant by 'my contract'. I was under the impression that when you sign a minimum 12 month contract with an ISP, your contract was that you agreed to pay them a minimum 12 months worth of charges, rather than that they can stop you using another ISP for 12 months. I could easily be wrong on this though, perhaps Ofcom would be able to tell me

I was a Sky TV customer first and added the BB on later and have absolutely no wish to cancel the TV, so perhaps that may work in my favour should I ask to cancel BB.

Perhaps I will be able to sort my disconnect problems out one day. Unfortunately, it has been a full 5 days since I e-mailed Sky and I am yet to receive a reply (such excellent service!)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Maybe if you post your problems the forum members may be able to help. Initially at least, you will find more help here than you will get from Sky, T1 especially, which actually seems to be a revenue gathering unit, rather than a help one.

Post detailing exactly what your problems are and what, if anything you have done to try and fix them. Included in your post, your detailed stats, taken after running and using the internet for at least 24 hours. If disconnection is your problem then take the stats after as long a period as you think may be safe before your connection drops. Click the link below to read about how to take your detailed stats. I prefer the Mosseywell utility as it is easier and quicker to use, once installed. Others on the forum prefer the Mognuts, which does not require installing but is not as quick to use.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12