Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What else...(and other queries)

This is a discussion on What else...(and other queries) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, I have just spoken to Sky (actually, I didn't, but it's easier to type in the first person) and ...

lkmills is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What else...(and other queries)

OK, I have just spoken to Sky (actually, I didn't, but it's easier to type in the first person) and have registered for the Max package. There are a few things I need to know though.

1. Since my computer isn't wireless enabled, will I just need to buy something like this? Buy Belkin Wireless G+ USB Adapter. at Argos.co.uk If i buy it will I be sorted for wireless? In fact, does anyone know how good the item I just posted is?

2. Is there anything else I will need to buy?

3. Are there any known problems changing from dial-up to Sky Broadband?

4. Will this connection override my Dial-Up connection (which will last for about another week after I am connected on Sky)?

I think that's it.

So far the only things I have posted have been questions...Oh well, that's what this site is for.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: What else...(and other queries)

Quote Originally Posted by lkmills View Post
      OK, I have just spoken to Sky (actually, I didn't, but it's easier to type in the first person) and have registered for the Max package. There are a few things I need to know though.

1. Since my computer isn't wireless enabled, will I just need to buy something like this? Buy Belkin Wireless G+ USB Adapter. at Argos.co.uk If i buy it will I be sorted for wireless? In fact, does anyone know how good the item I just posted is?
      Have you got a network card or ethernet card in your pc if so, no you don't need to buy anything unless you want your router a distance from your PC

2. Is there anything else I will need to buy?
      Nope not normally

3. Are there any known problems changing from dial-up to Sky Broadband?
      No not usually, hopefully it will all go to plan for you

4. Will this connection override my Dial-Up connection (which will last for about another week after I am connected on Sky)?
      Yes, but may need some help. We will help you.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Have you got a network card or ethernet card in your pc if so, no you don't need to buy anything unless you want your router a distance from your PC
      You've lost me on that one. What do you mean by "unless you want your router a distance from your PC"? I thought that the router connects into the phone line and then it sends signals from there to the computers wireless receiver (such as the one I posted).

Have I got that completely wrong?

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkmills View Post
      Have I got that completely wrong?
      No that is right. What NewsreadeR is saying if you are planning to have your computer neat the router there isn't any need to go wireless as you can use the wires supplied to connection your computer to the router. Obviously if there is some distance between them then perhaps wireless is a better option for you.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      No that is right. What NewsreadeR is saying if you are planning to have your computer neat the router there isn't any need to go wireless as you can use the wires supplied to connection your computer to the router. Obviously if there is some distance between them then perhaps wireless is a better option for you.
      Ah, I read it wrong. Thanks a lot for your help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Maybe it should be made clear, a wired connection is always superior to a wireless one. You should at least plan to do the initial set up with a wired connection, this is much simpler than wireless. If your PC is anything like new you will almost certainly have an NIC built into the motherboard. You can check easily by looking at the back of the PC, the network port looks like a dial up modem port but is slightly larger. If you don't have one, PCI versions can be got for 5 or 6 on eBay. The cable you need is supplied with the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

rishy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fordhouses
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My brother went for the max package with the free intallation and the engineer set up a free usb wifi dongle as his phone line was to far away from the computer. The enginner did not charge any extra for the dongle.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ideally I would keep a wired connection but my computer is quite far from the where the phone line is.

In response to the technician giving a free usb dongle, I'm installing it myself so it would essentially be a 50 adapter since they charge for installation now.

Thanks for the responses though. I imagine this wont be the last you hear of me and my questions. Although hopefully once I get it set up I can actually contribute myself.