Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Migrating to Sky Problems

This is a discussion on Migrating to Sky Problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Just thought I'd share with you my troubles with trying to migrate my parents broadband to sky. Sorry its ...

justjames is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Migrating to Sky Problems

Hi
      Just thought I'd share with you my troubles with trying to migrate my parents broadband to sky. Sorry its a long tale.

I am on Max and when I ordered my broadband in November my MAC code was taken down wrong. I received a letter telling my there was an incompatible product on my line and I couldn't have the service. I telephoned, told them there was not anything incompatible as I was on IPStream and they checked the MAC and it was incorrect. I gave them the correct code and it all went through.

Now for my parents I ordered the MAC code from BT on 25th Jun and gave it to sky the same day to get on their Mid service. All was going well. I checked BTs small business site a couple of days later to see if an order had been placed and it hadn't. So I telephoned and spoke to provisioning who read the MAC code back to me and it was wrong so he put it through again. A couple of days later I checked BT again and saw no order had been placed. In the mean time my parents had received a letter saying the MAC was wrong, a letter saying the engineer (that was never ordered as I was going to do the connection) was coming to fit the equipment, and the sky broadband box itself.

I phoned provisioning again to see what was happening to be told that on the previous call they shouldn't have re-entered the MAC and the account now has an error and has gone into 'Pre-active cancel' and I'll have to wait for it to be sent off to a special team who manually fix it, and it may take upto a month. I was told I would be phoned when it was fixed

So a week before the MAC code expired and I hadn't heard anything, I phoned to check progress. I was told that nothing had changed and to ring back three working days before the MAC expired. I did and nothing had changed and was told again to wait to be called.

So today I telephoned BT to check if the code had expired and it had, so they gave me a new one. I telephoned provisioning again and was told nothing had happened yet, so I told them the MAC had expired and gave them the new one. I was told that it may take months.

All through this sky's provisioning team have been very helpful on the phone and answer quickly, they just don't know what the problem is and how long it will take to fix. They are only allowed to send a few of these error accounts off to be fixed a day. They are not sure who is fixing it either. My parents account has been sent off but they get no updates until it is fixed.

I am about to write to James.Murdoch@sky.com to see if they can speed this up. My parents have been paying on the top package for years and years and this doesn't show much for customer loyalty. Fortunately as this is a migration they still can use their current provider.

We will wait it out as I have found the service to be very good once you're on it. It just seems that sky are oversubscribed and cannot handle the shere volume.

Sorry again for the long post but needed to vent. James

2. Advertisement
      TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Migrating to Sky Problems

Pre Active Cancels are a curse, the current unofficial (the last I heard) resolution timescale is 2-3 months, the official timescale is 'no timescale' and I did hear from someone the other day that they can take up to seven months to clear with the current backlog.

That being said, customer relations have cleared them before (they need to email an external company to Sky, Chordiant) whereas in provisioning we have a backlog of over a thousand and can only send off 10 a day, so you're effectively in the back of a very long, slow moving queue.

If customer relations say its cleared, please phone up provisioning to check - I've seen cases before where customer relations have done nothing, told them to cancel their current provider and all will be well. They get the cease done, ring up and find out they're still in this status :|

Sorry its not better news!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply, but it was the news I was expecting.

Provisioning have been helpful and very nice on the phone but it seems as though they are not being given the answers to problems such as this.

Is there anyone on this forum who has come out the other side of this error and lived to tell the tale?

Its not a big problem as they have a current service, but it is very frustrating as you can imagine when your are told it can take months for something that is supposed to take 5 days in an ideal world.

I have written an email to james.murdoch@bskyb.com and await a response from customer relations. If I don't hear anything the nice lady at provisioning I last spoke to gave me the Sky Subscriber Services address to write a complaint to. She hoped that if enough people complain then sky might put more resourses on it, but I won't hold my breath.

James

TSx
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

We've been told numerous times 'a fix is just round the corner' but as yet, haven't actually been given the fix itself...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thats what I was told on Friday when I rang three working days before the MAC expired.
      I was told a fix was going to happen on Monday and I should ring back then. I did and nothing had changed.
      They are obviously trying to work on it but have no idea how to fix a lot of accounts at once and are still stuck doing it one at a time.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

We have had a response from Sky Customer Relations, who have told us that our account has been passed onto one of their analysts. Apparently it will be sorted in 10 days. If not we have to contact them again so they can investigate it further. Here's hoping it will get sorted soon.

tandt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Migrating to Sky Problems

Hi Folks,

I too have a similar problem. At the beginning of this month I have joined for Sky’s “see-speak-surf” package. I have my mandatory satellite dish installed as well and working but find it very difficult to get Sky Broadband activated even after 21 days. I am told by provisioning that “pre-active was cancelled as Sky staff entered the wrong Mac Code/key and now it needs to be addressed manually which takes time etc.”

So is there anything that I can do to get my Sky Broadband activated ASAP, as I think their department as well do not seem to know exactly what is going on and when the fix would take place ?

Thanks & Regards,
      Tandt.

TSx
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The department doesn't know how long it will take - estimates range from 2-3 months, but that is probably actually longer now. Its not because we're incompetent as agents, its because there is no exact way for us to know. Pre active cancels are added to a spreadsheet with well over a thousand accounts on it - we can then send 10 of these accounts each day to the people who make our software for removal. Unfortunately, the list is just getting longer and longer and longer :|

There is a rumoured 'fix' to the software but chances are that will be to stop the problem occuring in the first place, rather than fixing people who are already experiencing the problem...

Sorry its not good news, but its the truth.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Surely the best 'fix' would be to enter the correct information in the first place! A few errors can be expected, but over a 1000 on the waiting list means that someone is not properly trained and/or doesn't understand English. This comment is not aimed at you TSx, but those who enter the wrong code in the first place. I know you will be doing your best to clean it up.

TSx
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep, I completely agree with you and, from experiance, know that it is rarely the provisioning team responsible for these errors (although, I'm sure it does happen from time to time, as does all human error).

The majority of cases where orders go into pre active cancel are the sales team not doing their job properly. Everyone I work with knows the format of a mac code is LLLL1111111/LL11L where L is a letter and 1 is a number. We also read the mac code back, phonetically, to the EU to ensure it is correct.

Sales consistently put orders through with a 0 instead of an O and other things like that - all that is needed is for Sky to brief sales on the format of a mac code and encourage them to tell a customer if they are supplying an invalid mac code.

Mac codes are now entered by provisioning in most cases now (where you ring back with a mac code), so maybe we'll see the list start to go down...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast