Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Migrate to SKY?

This is a discussion on Migrate to SKY? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Apologies if this isnt the best place for my 1st post but I am seriously thinking about moving my ISP ...

JulianT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Migrate to SKY?

Apologies if this isnt the best place for my 1st post but I am seriously thinking about moving my ISP to SKY.

Current ISP is Newnet and normally get around 5meg on Max, the line checker here shows I could be in for around 15meg with SKY Max as my exchange has been LLU'ed.

What worries me is that if I do order the SKY package but for some reason my line isn't capable of that what happens? I don't want to be then put on SKY ADSL Max as I wouldnt be any better off speed wise.

So what I want to know is if that did happen am I well and truly stuck with a new 12month contract?

My Downstream attenuation is 31.1 at the moment.....

Thanks and im sure there may be more questions !

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Migrate to SKY?

15Mb is probably on the high side. But anything from 10Mb upwards should be possible.

You do have a cooling off period to change your mind.

A lot of people find that there speed is lower than expected, but this is more often than not due to problems within their own internal wiring.

To get the best speeds, the router needs to be connected to a filtered faceplate at the master socket (see my sig about the master socket) and you will probably also need to run the optimiser (again see my sig).

Finally a wired connection will always prove better than wireless.

At the end of the day, if you get yourself set up properly, you should be able to get comfortably over 10Mb.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

the line checker here shows I could be in for around 15meg with SKY Max as my exchange has been LLU'ed.
      The figures we use are based on data from a database, and so we cannot guarantee that you would actually see 15mb, its just a guide.

Maybe Saturday can confirm?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

JulianT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post

To get the best speeds, the router needs to be connected to a filtered faceplate at the master socket (see my sig about the master socket) and you will probably also need to run the optimiser (again see my sig).

Finally a wired connection will always prove better than wireless.
      Thanks for that as its one thing I had not considered.

I currently have my router connected to an extension lead connected to an upstairs BT socket. As there is no power socket near the bedroom BT socket I dont have much of an option.

Guess I could really do with a BT socket *in* the office

But even if I got 10meg DL then that would be an improvement and price saving in 1 hit

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

dont be surprised if the extension cabling cripples your connection.

i live in a relatively newly built property with all the extension put in and it crippled my connection by almost 66%!!!!! (ie was getting just over 2Mb, but got almost 7Mb when connected to a filtered faceplact on the master socket). Nb there is a difference in connecting to the BT master socker and connecting to a filtered faceplate on the BT master socket.