Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky are wrong to advise people to format their drives

This is a discussion on Sky are wrong to advise people to format their drives within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My father-in-law has been disconnected from his Sky BB because apparently his pc is sending bulk e-mails, and is in ...

Paulst30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky are wrong to advise people to format their drives

My father-in-law has been disconnected from his Sky BB because apparently his pc is sending bulk e-mails, and is in breach of his contract.

A letter detailing this has also notified him that because anti-virus and spyware programs arent working, he needs to Format all of his computers that connect to Sky and then contact them when its done.

.................................................. .................................................. ...

Sky are bonkers if they think for one minute people are going to follow this advice, purely because;

1. How do they suppose a novice will do that, without incurring cost
      2. They supplied no evidence that this "bulk email spam" was being sent
      3. In order to back up data from your HDD you need help if not done before

Sky offered no tutorials, or help with this demand and also for the simple fact that they cannot supply evidence that this is happening is nothing short of unbelievable.

For a start, i look after his pc's and am an MCP, so its crazy for them to assume that his pc is transmitting this data, i've got his laptops locked down so much that nothing can get in.

They cut him off on Friday afternoon, with no warning and no letter, apart from the response after my mother in law phoned to complain.

Has anyone else experienced this extremely novice behaviour from Sky??

Every person that knows the slightest about pc's knows that formatting is a LAST resport and every aveneue must be explored before you do this. Sky seem to generalise this term by making people think that this is going to be straight forward.

utter nonsense from Sky once again

//rantmode off

2. Advertisement
      Lord Farquaad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHUD
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky are wrong to advise people to format their drives

Can't understand why they want you to format your drive, just run a virus scan and spyware scan. phone Sky and say that you reformated your hard drive. Sky have no way of checking to see if you have really formated your drive.

j112 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Montfort (LEICESTER)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

yes i had the same exact problem i did have a virus and Easynet told me to format every pc on my network even though i told them i had isolated the virus and got rid of it. After much arguing they restored my internet after a day and half without it. I was told if it happens again i face legal action and will have to pay for a security expert to look at my network :S and i will have to pay the costs :S:S:S,

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi sorry to hear about your problem did u check his pc for spyware /virus and check his email log to see how many emails his account has sent

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ps is that victoria park in the background

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah it is Victoria Park

i check his pc's every week for stuff, he's quite anxious about stuff on his laptop.

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is a two pronged issue.

1) Sky are perfectly correct to disconnect "spamming pcs" if they didn't we would all suffer because sky ip addresses would be blacklisted on the web and your emails would just get dumped by most isps, aside from the massive use of sky network resources just sending out the emails.

2) An uptodate virus check and confirmation of removal of the offending software is enough to get your connection reinstated - reformatting of hard disks is unneccesary unless the visrus cannot be removed by conventional means. You could also run a few online virus checks as well to make sure your particular checker has not overlooked the offending virus.

Sky should be a little more undertstanding about this. What happens when or if McAffee fails to catch a new virus and hundreds of pcs get infected until they come up with a block and removal tool - it has happened - will sky then demand hundreds/thousands of people start reformatting?

Viruses are a pain, but if caught and removed, there is certainly no need to get paranoid about it.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

//agree

Its not the procedure that has annoyed me, as i am aware that their network and customers has to be protected, however the way they deal with the situation needs to be addressed.

I sincerely hope that they read these threads because i imagine that theres going to be many others that have experienced this poor advice, and actually took their pc to a technician to get it formatted, when it might not be needed.

Ciel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You can run all the spyware and anti-virus checks you like but if someone has allowed all sorts of nasty things to run (people do it all the time) then a reconfiguration of many system files or running applications may be seen as being perfectly normal.

Formatting a drive is very extreme but I'd do nothing less if I thought something got through with my PC or my parents' PC.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This is a tricky one. If Sky claim a PC has been compromised, they should be able to provide proof of this. However, it is possible for someone to appear to be sending out emails when they are not. It is a known fact that email addresses can be 'spoofed' and I think this is what may have happened here. If this is the case all the formatting in the world will not do any good. The only thing that will help, is if the address in question is 'black holed'. An examination of the emails headers should indicate where it actually originated, but whether Sky are able to do this, is another question. One of Sky's biggest problems is that they think everyone is a 'newbie' like themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast