Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky are wrong to advise people to format their drives

This is a discussion on Sky are wrong to advise people to format their drives within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I personally would argue with them that I had installed thier crappy mcaffy and why didn't that picj it up, ...

stevvie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky are wrong to advise people to format their drives

I personally would argue with them that I had installed thier crappy mcaffy and why didn't that picj it up, I bet with enough complaint they would sort it out. I'm always on Sky's back about the slightest thing. And I seen to get half price and free months from them all the time as a "one off good will gesture" but they always seem to say it's not the norm and it's a one off. I never argue about that

2. Advertisement
      MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky are wrong to advise people to format their drives

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If Sky claim a PC has been compromised, they should be able to provide proof of this. However, it is possible for someone to appear to be sending out emails when they are not. It is a known fact that email addresses can be 'spoofed' and I think this is what may have happened here.
      The Sky abuse = Easynet abuse, they know what they're talking about. If headers show bulk emails to be coming from an IP that was assigned to YOUR router then there's little getting around that.

Sky won't cut you off and tell you to format your PC if someone sends bulk emails with your email address as a 'from' or 'reply-to' header (unles they came from your IP too). You'd soon know about this kind of spam because you'd be getting tens of bounce backs.

Quote Originally Posted by stevvie View Post
      I bet with enough complaint they would sort it out.
      And if you don't fix the problem your end, when your account is re-enabled and your compromised PC starts spewing out thousands more junk emails, your account will be suspended again.

Edit: Just to nit-pick, Sky does have it's own abuse department, but it is run under the Easynet one.
      Last edited by MrStabby; 05-08-07 at 01:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12