Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connection Problems

This is a discussion on Connection Problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My wireless connection has been intermittent ever since I got it, finally I gave up and decided to use the ...

Madgenius is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Connection Problems

My wireless connection has been intermittent ever since I got it, finally I gave up and decided to use the yellow wire instead.

Now it ain't working their either!!!!!! It says Limited or No Connectivity.

Sky's technical support needless to say have been about as much use as a condom machine in the vatican.

Any ideas would be gratefully received

Danny

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connection Problems

How many pcs you got connected?

Could try updating your network card drivers.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You might try turning off UPnP in the router (see Help files on Sky CD for how to access router's user inerface).

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      (see Help files on Sky CD for how to access router's user inerface).
      Or just type 192.168.0.1 into your address bar and login with 'admin' and 'sky'. The option to disable this can be found on the left hand side towards the bottom.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've got 1 pc connected, and I've already turned off the uPnP thing, it didn't make much difference

Any other ideas guys?

Thanks

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

When you plugged in your cable did you make sure that you had enabled the wired connection.

Go to Start, Contolr Panel, Network, right click on the network connection (not the wireless one) and click enable. Do the same for the wireless but click DISABLE, then you know what you are using - wired or wireless.

Have you got any firewalls on your PC?
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Hi all again.

Just a quick note to you all about these intermitant connection problems that almost everyone seems to be getting. I answered a post about using parts of the sky router for a laptop all technical stuff and not relevant in this thread except to say that it was to upgrade my laptop to a 108 Mbps wireless card. I did that and it worked as far as my laptop was concerned. I of course needed a 108 Mbps router to try the "faster" connection with. Since I have been with Sky I have been using a netgear 54Mbps router that I have had for years and its been more or less as solid as a rock. Yesterday to test the 108Mbps thingy I reverted to my supplied sky router. Ever since then my connection has been up and down like a yo yo. every few minutes it would cut off and then reconnect a few minutes later. I bought a Netgear 108Mbps router a few years ago when they first came on the market along with a 108 Mbps PCMCIA card for an older laptop that I have. I went through 3 of those routers before I told the supplier to forget the 108 Mbps and change it for a 54 Mbps one. Since then I have had no trouble whatsoever with drop outs until yesterday. Now I'm sorry to say I do not know why the 108 Mbps router is so unreliable. I also know that there are others on this forum that use the Sky router without any problems whatsoever. That hasn't been the case for me and I suspect it hasn't been the case for literally hundreds if not thousands of other Netgear/Sky 108 Mbps router users. I personally am convinced that a lot of the problems being experienced by Sky users are being caused by this router. What to do about it? I really don't know, what I do know is that an awful lot of people are not getting the service that they are paying for and that WOULD include me if I was using the Sky supplied router. Reading through numerous posts in this forum it has become abundantly clear that Sky would certainly frown on me using my own router (that smacks of Big Brother tactics to me like making me connect my sky box to my telephone line which I alo do not do) and would even close my account for using my own router, but to be honest if I was using their router I would be suffering exactly the same problems as hundreds of others and I would have cancelled my account with them during the cooling off period. They (Sky) nust have lost thousands of customers because of this problem and their next to nothing customer support. Oh and for the employees of Sky who might tell me that I am using my account against Sky's T&c's I know I am but when I opened my account a couple of months back I stipulated that if I couldn't use my own router I wouldn't go with Sky. I told the sales guy that I did not want a Sky router but he told me that I had to have one but I didn't have to use it and actually told me to sell it on Ebay if I didn't want it. Of course if push comes to shove with my account in the future that part of my conversation with Sky will be strenuously denied.

Sorry about this long post but I do feel strongly about all this messing about us paying customers are getting from Sky. I have posted about aspects of this post in other threads but this one kinda brings it all together somewhat.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah, I do have a firewall, but it was disabled at the time. I'm not sure if I did the rest or not, I was fiddling for ages.

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Is it working?
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The uPnP thing had reset itself for some reason, I've just turned it off again. I'll see how it goes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast